What To Do If You've Given Your Personal Information To A Fraudulent Employer

Tawnya -

If you have given any personal information to a fraudulent employer, here are a few steps you should immediately take:

 1. Flag the employer (if they are in Handshake). Flagging the employer will alert our security team so they can investigate and take appropriate action.

2. Report to local police. Police are responsible for conducting an investigation (regardless of whether the scam artist is local or not.) 

3. Contact your Bank: If you have sent money to a fraudulent employer, immediately contact your bank or credit card company to protect the account and dispute any charges

4. File a Report with the FTC: Please report the job scam to the Federal Trade Commission, the nation's consumer protection agency, which collects complaints about companies, business practices, and identity theft. You can do this here.

5. Report it to your school. Contact your Career Services Center immediately if you believe you have been scammed. 


How can I tell if I'm being scammed? Fraudulent Employer Quick Tips 

Was this article helpful?
4 out of 4 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request