We will collect work authorization information directly from the student during the job application process to increase transparency for employers and improve the application experience for students. Prior to submitting their first job application, each student will be prompted with the options below:
- Are you legally authorized to work in the United States?
- Will you now or in the future require visa sponsorship?
As a student, you will also have an option to opt out of completing these questions by selecting this option:
- Prefer not to answer these questions
- The answers to these two questions will be stored on the your profile so that you are not prompted to answer again after you've answered the questions once.
- If you fill out the information on your profile prior to applying, we will not prompt you to answer these questions at all during the application process.
- The answers to questions will drive whether or not a student is fully qualified or not fully qualified for a position. Even though your school can still populate visa status on the your profile for reporting purposes, we will no longer use that field in determining your eligibility for a job posting. We will instead use the answers to the two questions in the application process.
Workflows Affected by this Change:
All students will be prompted to answer these two questions the first time they apply for a job:
- "Are you legally authorized to work in the United States?"
- "Do you now or will you in the future require visa sponsorship?"
The student will also have an option to opt out of completing these questions by selecting this option:
- "I do not wish to share the answers to these questions with employers."
- All students will be prompted to answer these two questions the first time they apply for a job:
Student Account and Student Profile
- The answers to the two new questions will be stored in the Account Settings section on the student's account.
- The current field is named “Visa Status”. This field holds the visa status for the student if it is possible through the student sync or by the student themselves.
- Account Settings
Since we are now using only your answers to these two questions in determining whether or not you are fully qualified, we have updated our logic in how we define a fully qualified vs. not fully qualified student candidate in comparison to the employer's preferences.
If a student chooses not to answer the work authorization questions for employers, the student will be FULLY QUALIFIED for all positions.
Here is the student view:
Here is the employer view:
Students will always show up as fully qualified for jobs not requiring U.S. sponsorship, regardless of their answers to the work authorization questions.
Why are these questions required?
- We believe this will be a better experience for students so they are not spending time applying and interviewing for a job they cannot get.
- We believe this will be a better experience for employers to reduce the amount of time they are spending interviewing and reviewing candidates they cannot hire.
- Employers can gather more information about a student without requiring the student to disclose their work authorization status.
Is it possible to filter in the job search based on work authorization?
- Yes! Students can use the Work Authorization filter to select from two options:
- "Will sponsor or doesn't require US work visa"
- "Accepts OPT/CPT"
Can a student edit these fields after they've submitted them the first time?
- Yes, a student can edit these fields on their profile at any point.