Saved reports are available via prebuilt reports from Handshake's Product Team as well as reports shared from your institution's colleagues and other institutions on Handshake.
Using a saved report can significantly reduce your time spent building a new report in Analytics. Likewise, saving your favourite reports to share with colleagues or other institutions can help others save time as well!
To access and use saved reports, refer to the steps below.
1. Click Analytics on the left navigation bar. On the overview page, there are columns for the saved reports:
- Name: The chosen name of the saved report (selected by the Author).
- Report Type: The report template type chosen for the saved report.
- Institution: The institution that created the report.
- Author: The individual that built the report.
- Favourite: To indicate if you have favourited the report. Favourited report stars will be highlighted.
You can filter the displayed saved reports using the filters on the left of the screen:
- Keyword search: keywords search report names, institution names, and authors
- Visibility: Choose reports visible to all Career Services users, only other users at your institution, or only visible to you
- Report type: The report template type used to create the report.
- Institution: Institution the report came from.
2. Review the saved reports presently available to see if any of them may provide the data you're looking for. To view a report, click on the row with the desired report name. The report will load with the preselected template, filters, and results, with the data for your institution.
- Tip: Click the star icon to the left of the report name to favourite a report. Use the filter Show favourites only to quickly locate it later.
3. If you find a report that has a good foundation but needs to be slightly adjusted to tell the right story, you can duplicate the report. Click Options in the upper-right corner, then click Duplicate.
4. Enter the desired report settings, then click Save.
- Report Name
- Description (optional)
- Sharing settings
- Keep private to you
- Share with your institution
- Share with your institution and the Handshake Network
5. Select or remove filters and results as desired, then click Run in the upper-right corner to confirm you are seeing the intended data. You can continue making adjustments as needed - just click Run to pull updated results.
6. When you're happy with the displayed results, click Confirm Changes in the upper-right corner to save your updates.
Best Practices & Reminders
- Run only one report at a time for the most efficiency
- Start small and simple and work your way up to more complicated explores
- The best explores are those that return within a few seconds, if it takes longer than that you should try removing fields and starting simpler
- Also, more filters = less data
- All data can be downloaded to Excel – if you can’t do something in Analytics, you can always download the results and transform there
- Location searches - Filter on Lat_long and use syntax of: "100 miles from 41.8781136, -87.6297982"
- Institution Labels are the labels created/apply to that item by your institution.
Within each view there are “dimensions” and “measures”:
- Dimensions - What data do I want? Dimensions are the column descriptors of your table.
- Measures - What do I want to do with my data. Measures are the maths on top of your data.
Within each dimension and measure there are "results", “filters”, and “pivots”:
- Filters - How do I get the right data? Choosing the data that you are interested in.
- Pivots - What if I have 2 questions? Pivoting enables dimensions to be displayed horizontally.
If you are having trouble pulling a report, you can always get in touch here with the link to the report and our Support Team can assist you!