If you recently created a First Destination Survey in Handshake, and would like to preview it before sending out to students, we recommend testing the functionality!
To efficiently test the FDS, you will need:
- A student account in Handshake
- if you do not have one already, refer to Create a Student Account Associated with Your Career Services Account.
- A published FDS to test
- ensure that no actual students have been invited prior to testing.
- if you need to create a FDS, refer to Create a New First Destination Survey.
- Testing a First Destination Survey That I Created
- Testing a First Destination Survey For Another User
Testing a First Destination Survey That I Created
Once the FDS has been created and published, follow the steps below to test the functionality, prior to adding graduating students.
1. Locate the FDS that you would like to test.
2. Click the grey Add Students button, located to right side of the screen, or below the yellow envelope at the bottom of centre of the screen.
3. A pop-up will appear in the middle of the screen - select the Graduation Group from the dropdown, and add your student email address (linked to your Handshake accounts) into the text field, then click the blue Add Emails button in the lower-right corner.
5. When you've been added successfully, the student account will be in the Recipients List:
6. Now it's time to test! Click on your name in the upper-right corner of Handshake and click Switch Users, then choose your student account.
Tip: if you're viewing the FDS when you choose to switch users, the response page will load right away!
7. Click the blue Begin button in the lower-right corner to explore the FDS - keep in mind that you can go back and change your answers (or submit multiple responses) to consider how different outcomes (and custom questions/skip logic) appear.
- Note: if you attached a custom survey to the FDS, you will not want to submit your responses to the survey questions, as those cannot be edited or deleted.
8. After identifying anything you may want to adjust or change, switch back to your Career Services account. Make your changes to the survey, switch users, and test again!
9. When you are done testing, you will need to delete your survey response(s) and remove yourself as a recipient from the survey.
- Click on your name in the recipient list, then click the three hashmarks to the far right, and click on Delete Response:
- After your response has been deleted, then you can remove yourself as a recipient. Go back to the Students & Stats page, put a check next to your name, then click on the bulk action More, and click Remove Recipient:
Now, you are ready to launch! Add your graduating students to the appropriate graduation group(s), then let the Survey Invite email and reminder emails kick off.
Testing a First Destination Survey For Another User
If you were asked to test the FDS functionality at your institution, this will walk you through the steps!
1. Navigate to this link to log into Handshake: https://app.joinhandshake.co.uk/login
2. Enter your student account credentials that your Career Services office has shared with you.
3. Once you're logged into your student account, click Career Centre in the upper-right corner, to the left of your icon.
4. Click First Destination Survey.
5. All First Destination Surveys you have been invited to take will be listed. Click the appropriate FDS to get started!
For more information regarding First Destination Survey's, refer to FAQs: First Destination Survey.