An Experience in Handshake is a way to submit a role for approval. Once you submit an Experience, you can manage it through Handshake and create learning objectives to track your progress.
To Request an Experience
1. Click on Career Centre in the upper-right corner of your screen.
2. Click on Experiences from the Career Centre page.
3. Click on Request an Experience, located toward the upper-left, under your navigation bar.
4. Choose the relevant Experience Type and Term. Each institution creates their own set of Experience Types and Terms, so contact your Career Centre if you are not sure which one to select.
5. Enter the employer details for your Experience.
Note: Employer Phone Number and Employer Email Address are optional and should be for the company, not for your individual supervisor.
6. Enter the job details for your Experience.
7. Enter the Approvers for your Experience (if required by your institution).
8. Answer the custom questions set by your institution (if required).
9. Select Request Experience in the bottom right corner of the page to complete the Experience request process. You will then see that your Experience has been successfully created and is pending approval from your Career Centre.
You will also receive a confirmation email once your Experience has been submitted.
Once your experience has been approved, you can stay connected to the career centre by communicating in the comments section and view evaluations from the reviewers involved.
Not seeing “Career Centre” at the top of your screen?
If you do not see the “Career Centre” tab at the top of your screen (to the left of your name), it means your institution doesn't partner with Handshake (yet!) If you're enjoying your experience on Handshake, feel free to encourage your career centre to formally partner with us and we can unlock additional benefits for you and your institution!