Campaigns provide clear, structured calls to action to increase RSVP & applicant conversion rates. You can tag external Jobs and Events from your CRM or ATS directly in Campaigns to measure sourced RSVPs & applications right in Handshake, as well as collect a standardised ‘not interested’ signal for students who don’t take action, to help improve future Campaign targeting.
Please note: Premium features are for Handshake Premium accounts only. For more information, please check out this resource.
- Campaign Creation
- Campaign Results
- Student Messaging Experience
Note: you may click Save Draft in the upper-right corner of the page to save your progress at any time, without finalising the campaign. You may navigate back to the draft through the Unscheduled tab on the Campaigns page.
1. Click Campaigns from the left navigation bar in Handshake, then click on Create Campaign in the upper-right corner of the page.
2. Select a campaign type to proceed.
- Job: Promote jobs posted in Handshake, your applicant tracking system, or CRM
- Event: Invite students to RSVP to events such as info sessions, tech talks, and conferences
- Career fair - Handshake Virtual: Invite students to sign up for sessions at a Handshake virtual career fair
- Note: if you've set 1:1 qualifications for your fair sessions, students must meet the selected qualifications in order to see available sessions. If a recipient indicates they cannot see available sessions, this is the likely cause!
- Career fair - Other: Invite students to RSVP to your non-Handshake virtual or in-person fair
- Other: Promote your brand without tagging a job, career fair, or event
Examples of campaign types “Job”, “Event”, or "Career fairs"
If you select a campaign type other than "Other", you’ll be able to link a job, fair, or event to the campaign.
Only one job posting can be attached to a campaign regardless of the location.
- If the job is posted in Handshake, click the dropdown located below Related job and select the job from a list of active postings.
- If the job isn't posted in Handshake (but is active in an applicant tracking system or CRM), click the box to the left of My job is not available above, then enter the Job URL (required), Job title (required), and Job location (optional) in the provided spaces.
- Note: when external URL's are added, Handshake will not report on the individual candidate that clicks to be referred to your job because there is no post available. For tracking purposes, we recommend posting your job on Handshake and adding it from the Related job option above.
When you select an event campaign type, you'll be able to select the Related Event if it's posted in Handshake. Click the dropdown to select from a list of events.
If the event is hosted outside of Handshake, select Event posting type: In external system to enter the Event posting URL, Event title, and Event location - check "This event is virtual (no location)" if your event is hosted virtually.
In order to successfully send an event via a campaign that is not targeting specific institutions, you will need to make sure to select the “Allow any Handshake student with a link to this event to view and RSVP” option in your event settings. If this option does not display for you when editing your event, please make sure that your external video link is only included in the Web Host URL field and not in both the Web Host URL and Non-Handshake Registration URL fields.
Career fair - Handshake Virtual
Note: this type is intended exclusively for virtual fairs hosted on Handshake. The attachment in these campaigns will redirect students to sign-up for available group and/or 1:1 sessions. Please use 'Career fair - Other' if the fair is virtual and facilitated outside of Handshake, or if the fair is an in-person fair!
When you select the Career fair - Handshake Virtual campaign type, you'll be able to select the Related virtual career fair. Click the dropdown to select from a list of fairs you've registered for.
Career fair - Other
Note: If a career fair is being hosted virtually but is not facilitated in Handshake (is hosted on a third party site), or is hosted in-person, you should use this campaign type!
When you select the Career fair - Other campaign type, you'll be able to select the Related career fair. Click the dropdown to select from a list of fairs you've registered for.
Example of campaign type “Other”
If you select Other, you’ll see the exact same Campaign Creation form that you’ve used previously (just without the ability to tag a specific job or event).
3. After selecting the campaign type and linking any related items, you'll need to enter the below information, then click Next: Set Schedule in the lower-right of the page.
- Campaign Name (that only you and your teammates will see)
- Select a Related Ambassador (if applicable)
- Select the Segment to send your Campaign to
- Enter a Maximum audience size (if applicable)
- Review optional Exclusions (by default, all of these are selected to exclude students that..)
- Applied to a job at your company "within the last 1, 3, 6, or 12 months"
- Received a message from you "within the last 1, 3, 6, or 12 months"
- Received a message from anyone at your company "within the last 1, 3, 6, or 12 months"
- Students who aren't seeking job opportunities
- Students may indicate they are not currently looking for a job.
4. To compose your message, you'll need to enter more details:
- Schedule (select a time frame to send your campaign)
- Job: Send ahead of application deadline or Send on date
- Event & Fairs: Send before event/fair, Send after event/fair, or Send on date
- Tip: If you're promoting or reminding students the day-of the event or fair, select Send on date to send your campaign that day!
- Subject (if you do not enter a subject, the default text displayed will be the message subject)
- Tip: Checkout messaging templates to save time crafting frequently used messages: Campaigns: Create, Save, and Use Templates.
If you've attached an item and/or an ambassador to your campaign, the cards will be located on this page below the message text box.
5. Click Preview Message at any time to view how the message (and any cards) will appear to students.
6. If you'd like to send a follow-up message, select Add Follow-up Message at the bottom of this page. Here, you can choose a specific time and date for the follow-up message to be sent. You can also:
- Exclude students who replied to this Campaign is checked by default, so if you'd like to message all recipients again, you'll need to uncheck this option.
- If you attached a Job, Event, or Fair, this is automatically included. Select Remove Attachment to not include this card.
Note: If you do not choose to send a follow-up message, you cannot message the same students within 48 hours of the original campaign being sent. If you would like to connect with the same students in less than 48 hours, a follow-up message will need to be created.
Before sending your campaign, you may preview your follow-up message by clicking Preview Message on this page.
7. Click Next: Set Schedule to review the selected send date(s) and make any necessary adjustments. If you're ready to schedule the campaign, click Schedule Campaign in the lower-right corner.
If you’ve chosen a Job, Event, or Career Fair Campaign, the “sourced” numbers will be available to you for every Campaign - regardless of whether you’ve tagged a Handshake job / event / fair, or an external job / event.
The open rates are calculated by dividing the number of students that opened a message from the campaign (the original message and/or the follow up message) by the total number of students that were targeted.
Student Messaging Experience
On web, students will be able to view your messages exactly as they are in your preview.
Student messages are also optimised for our iOS & Android apps to display your message and any attached cards.