As XML relies on customization, you'll need to ensure the XML you use meets your needs, is compatible with the student profile fields, and is formatted according to the name tag label size you'll be using.
You can create your own custom XML, or we have some preconfigured XML that we know works well, if you'd prefer to use that to start with (or test with)!
If you are using DYMO 450 or 450 Turbo with the original DYMO Label Software, refer to Name Tag XML Formatting (DYMO 450 or 450 Turbo).
Supported fields for name tags
Handshake supports the following fields from the student profile for name tags:
The fields Course, GradDate, and CourseGradDate all pull data from the student's Primary Education on their profile. If your institution imports student data, this information should be included in the import.
When printing name tags, if any of this information is missing or inaccurate, we recommend to first double-check the student profile to ensure it's reflected correctly in Handshake.
Format name tag XML
To customize your XML, open the Dymo software on your computer and follow the steps below.
1. You'll need to format your label based on the size of your label and the fields you'd like to include.
To do this, create a text field on your label, and add one of the following values with the two sets of braces (aka curly brackets) included:
Repeat this step until your label is formatted with the information that you would like, then save your label format in a .label file, as you will need this when you add label printing to your event or fair.
You will need to open the .label file with a text editor to copy the XML code for Handshake.
Add XML to an event or fair
1. Navigate to the fair or event in Handshake, then click the Edit tab in the upper-right corner of the page.
2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and ensure Name tag printing is checked, then paste the XML in the text box below, Name tag label XML.
- Tip: expand the Name tag label XML text box by clicking, holding, and dragging downward in the lower-right corner of the box, on the diagonal lines.
3. Make sure to save your updates after pasting!
Download and review our example XML, formatted for Label Size: 1 1/8" x 3 1/2", by saving the XML file below.