Handshake Events Code of Conduct
All visitors to our office, for meetups, conferences, or other events, are required to agree with the following code of conduct. A representative from Handshake will enforce this code throughout our events. We expect cooperation from all attendees to help ensure a safe environment for all participants. If an attendee breaks any of the code of conduct a Handshake team member will ask them to leave the event.
The Quick Version
Events held by Handshake are dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, religion (or lack thereof), or technology choices. We do not tolerate harassment of attendees in any form. Sexual language and imagery is not appropriate for any event sponsored by Handshake or held by Handshake, including conferences, talks, workshops, parties, Twitter and other online media. Participants violating these rules may be expelled from the event without a refund at the discretion of the Handshake representative.
The Less Quick Version
- Harassment includes offensive verbal comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, religion, technology choices, sexual images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention.
- Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
- Sponsors are also subject to the anti-harassment policy. In particular, sponsors should not use sexualized images, activities, or other material. Booth staff (including volunteers) should not use sexualized clothing/uniforms/costumes, or otherwise create a sexualized environment.
- If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the Handshake representative may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender or expulsion from the event with no refund.
- If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a member of Handshake staff immediately. Handshake staff and/or the Handshake representative at the event should be identified at the beginning of the event.
- The Handshake representative will be happy to help participants contact local law enforcement, provide escorts, or otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the event. We value your attendance.
- We expect participants to follow these rules at all Handshake offices and Handshake-related events.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License