It's possible that you may want to create an Employer account using the same email you use for your Career Services accounts. If so, this article will provide step by step directions on how to do so!
Note: this is a two part process that must be followed exactly to successfully create your employer account.
Before following the steps below, make sure you have logged out of your career services account. Click your name in the upper-right corner of Handshake, then click Log Out.
Confirm (or Setup) Your Handshake Login Credentials
In order to have both your Career Services account and your Employer account connected, you will need to confirm (or setup if needed) your Handshake Login Credentials. This is because, most likely, your institution is using Single Sign On.
Note: Handshake credentials are not the same as your institution's Single Sign On (SSO) login that you may use to access Handshake. This is a completely different password that is associated with Handshake only.
Employer users do not have access to sign in with SSO for security purposes. Thus, you will need Handshake Login Credentials to create this account.
If you already have a Handshake password created or do not use SSO to login, you can skip to part two below.
1. Go to https://app.joinhandshake.com/login
Note: A new incognito window is recommended so that your browser doesn't associate itself with past logins.
2. Enter your email in the text field for Employers & Career Centers under "Please sign in with your email", then click Next.
3. From here, do not log in using your School's Log in or Single Sign On. Rather, click on Log in using your Handshake credentials.
Note: if your school is not using Single Sign On at this time, then you'll just have the standard login prompt with email and password fields.
4. At this point, you'll need to either:
- Set your password - click Set your password to generate an email for your account security, then click the link in the email to create a password
Reset your password - click Forgot Password? if you no longer remember your Handshake password or would like to change it. An email will be sent to your email address for account security – click the link in the email to create a new password.
- For more information on resetting your password, refer to Reset the Password for a Student Account in Handshake.
Log in with your existing password - if you have already created a Handshake password and know what it is, we recommend typing it in and logging in. This step is important to take note of what Handshake-specific password you have created.
This will log you back into your Career Center account-- we just want to make sure the password is noted before proceeding to create your Employer account!
Note: creating or changing your password will not re-create your institution Single Sign On Password. This is a completely separate password, used for Handshake specifically.
Once you're able to log into your Handshake account using this newly created password, you can now proceed to create your Employer User Account.
Creating your Employer Account
Now that you have confirmed or setup your Handshake credentials, you're ready to register for your employer account!
Note: before advancing to the next steps, you will need to sign out of Handshake. Click your name in the upper-right corner of Handshake, then click Log out.
1. Go to https://app.joinhandshake.com/employer_registrations/new
2. The next page will display a yellow box with the message "This email address is already associated with an existing Handshake account. In order to create another account with this email address you must enter the password for your existing account with the same email address. Please enter the password for the X acount with the email address EMAIL."
Enter the exact same password that you just confirmed or created (in part one) to register for your employer account, then click Sign Up.
- Note: If you get the error "You must successfully authenticate with your existing account to create a new account with the email address EMAIL_ADDRESS.", this means that your password has been entered incorrectly. Enter the correct password in order to proceed, or you may choose to reset the password.
3. Once logged in, you will be prompted through the on-boarding process as an Employer - including creating or connecting with a company profile.
After completion of this step, you will have an employer account connected to your Career Services account!
Note: you can toggle between the accounts by using the drop-down menu under your name. Refer to Switching User Views for more information.
If you are interested in creating a student account as well, refer to Create a Student Account Associated with Your Career Services Account.
In some cases, a company account might have already been created for your "school" (under your .edu domain) by another department. This is typically by the Admissions office, Grad office, etc as they might have used Handshake in the past to register for a fair at a different institution. If so, this might prevent you from connecting to or creating a profile.
If you notice this is the case:
- if they can approve you
- how they were (or are) using this account
- determine if it should:
- remain as one company profile - OR
- if we should provision a new domain space to keep these company profiles separate
2. Create a Support ticket with the following:
- Outlining the context
- The URL to the employer profile
- Name of the existing company profile
- If possible, the name and emails of the users who are already connected
From there, the Support team will be able to merge the profiles OR provision an additional domain space for you
If you don't hear back from the contact who originally created the account, let the Support team know — they can manually attach your employer account to the company profile and can set you as the owner, if necessary.
Article is closed for comments.