In Handshake, permission-based labels may be configured to determine which students are eligible to use these features:
By using permission labels, Career Services can set parameters regarding which students are eligible to apply.
Add a permission label:
Click your school name on the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- Select School Settings from the drop down menu.
- On the left of your screen you will see a list of school settings tabs. Select the category you’d like to add a permission label to. Permission labels may be set on any of the following tabs - Appointment Preferences, Experience Preferences, Interview Preferences, Job Preferences or Mentorship Preferences. While the content within each of these tabs may be different, the steps for setting up permission labels will be identical.
- Depending upon your selection, you will see a header called Instructions or Student Permission Label. To set a permission label:
- Check the Students box to enable this feature.
- Select from a drop down menu whether the students must or must not be labelled per your selection
- Search or select from a drop down menu the label you’d like to use
- If you don’t see the label you’d like to use, you may click Create New Label and a new window will pop-up. Note: Most schools have internal policies regarding label creation. Please check with your Handshake account owner if you’re unsure about whether or not you are empowered to generate a new label at your school.
- On the form fill out the following information
- Enter your label name.
- From a drop down menu, select the area in Handshake where you’d like to use this label (i.e. job, employer, etc.), or select All to allow it to be used in any area.
- From a drop down menu, select the label type. “Normal” labels are private, meaning only Career Services staff can see them. “Public” labels are visible by staff and students.
- Click Create in the lower right hand corner.
- Next, you may enter a custom Permission Denied Message. This message will appear when a student attempts to apply for something that he/she is not qualified for based on your label selection.
- Click Save in the lower right-hand corner.