Handshake’s Check-in Kiosk is a great tool which can be used at interviews, events, career fairs and appointments. The Kiosk can turn any internet-connected device into a check-in center for students. Once the Kiosk is open, students simply enter their username or email address to record their attendance. Note: Handshake also supports check-in using students’ ID cards. Talk to your Handshake account executive if you’d like to explore this possibility at your school).
When logged into your career services account, there are several ways to access the Check-in Kiosk. Please note the Kiosk can only be launched from a web browser (whether on a desktop computer, laptop, or tablet). You may open a Check-in Kiosk for a particular event or open a general Check-in Kiosk. The Check-in Kiosk can be used for appointments, events, or interviews. You don't need to open the Kiosk from a specific page for a specific part of Handshake. In other words you can open the Kiosk from the Appointments page, Events page, or Interviews page but it's all the same Kiosk feature and collects data in the same place. If you open a Check-in Kiosk for a specific event, students may check-in without pre-registering for that event. If you open a general Check-in Kiosk, students may check in if they are not pre-registered as long as the event is not an invite only event and they meet the qualifications.
- To open a Kiosk for a particular event:
- From the device you’re using as a Kiosk, login to Handshake and Click Events (or Fairs if the event is a Career Fair) on the left-hand navigation bar
- You’ll see a list of upcoming events/fairs you have scheduled. Click on the event you’d like to open a kiosk for.
- Scroll down and click Open Check-In Kiosk, a blue tab on the left.
- A window will open asking you if you’d like to remain logged in to Handshake while using the kiosk. Note: You may stay logged into your account while testing the Kiosk. However, we strongly recommend that you logout of your account - and close any other open applications - while the Kiosk is in use and open to the public so that others do not have access to sensitive information.
- Click Launch Kiosk.
- The next screen that pops up will show the name of the event or fair along with a field where attendees will be able to enter their email address or username to check in. Your Kiosk is now open and ready for use! Attendees may check-in by entering their email address or username and click Go. (Don’t forget to logout of Handshake and to close any other applications at this time).
- To open a general Check-in Kiosk:
- From the device you’re using as a Kiosk, login to Handshake and Click Events on the left-hand navigation bar.
- Click Check-in Kiosk in the upper right-hand corner.
- A window will open asking you if you’d like to remain logged in to Handshake while using the Kiosk. Note: You may stay logged into your account while testing the Kiosk. However, we strongly recommend that you logout of your account - and close all other applications - while the kiosk is in use and open to the public so that others do not have access to sensitive information.
- Click Launch Kiosk.
- A check-in screen will appear. Enter your email address or username and click Go. (Or swipe your ID card if that features has been enabled).
- You will see a list of your events for that day (+/- 8 hours). Click on the event you’d like to check-in for. You’ll see a message at the top of your screen that you have successfully checked-in.
Note: You can also open up a general kiosk for an appointment. Click Appointments on left-hand navigation bar and follow steps above.
Closing a kiosk depends on the way it was launched:
- If you did not choose the option for "keep me logged in" during the launch, then you can close the tab/window the kiosk is in to close the kiosk.
- If you chose "keep me logged in" during the launch, then you can click on any left menu option to navigate out of the kiosk:
Kiosk Setup Recommendations from Handshake Schools
Curious to learn how other Handshake schools setup and manage Kiosks? View this discussion thread in our Handshake Community to see best practices or ask a question!