What is the Importer App?
The Importer App is used both internally and externally to analyze and import data, via the API, into Handshake.
How does it work?
Think of the Importer as a translator. It translates a CSV into JSON that's fed into our API and into Handshake.
How do I get access to the Importer?
Since the importer is such an awesome tool, but is a bit complex and handles a lot of sensitive data. Before we give you access, we ask that you complete this course on TalentLMS. If you don’t have an account, you can click the link and create one from the home page. Once you take the 4 question quiz, it will automatically generate a task for our team to add you to the importer.
You will sign in with your email address and create a password specific to the Importer.
What does this process look like?
- You'll upload a formatted CSV into the Handshake Importer App.
- From there, it will go through an analysis, providing you with any corrections that need to be made prior to the file processing
- If corrections are needed, a new file can be re-uploaded, repeating the analysis process
- Always keep in mind that the Help Center is a great resource to aid in troubleshooting files! If you're still having trouble, please reach out to our Support Team
- Once the file passes with no errors, just click "Submit and Request Run"! From there, our team will queue it up for processing within 24 hours
- If for any reason it cannot be processed, someone will reach out for next steps
- You may return to the original job page to review its current status, but please note you may not see the job anymore if it was either 100% successful, support made corrections to the file internally, or if it's been more than 48 hours
- You can also review the errors by clicking "View/Download Results"
So how do I get started?
To access the Importer App, go to https://importer.joinhandshake.com and log in with your credentials. If you have not been provisioned an account, please reach out to your AM to request access.
- To upload a new CSV, click the upper right of the screen: + Upload New CSV
- Next, select the file you want to upload and the file type in the dropdown:
- Insert a description if you'd like - (This may seem trivial now but can help in the future if you need to look back on historical upload context)
- Select the identifier - Please note that this does not change file requirements or affect primary identifiers for user accounts in Handshake. It is only used for troubleshooting purposes at this time.
- If the job is intended to change sensitive fields (email address, username, auth identifier, card id), select the "This job changes identifier data" box
- Save job when complete - The analysis may take several minutes
- Scroll down to review any errors, after the analysis has completed (refresh the page periodically). If any errors occurred, correct them and upload a new job
- When your file has passed the analyzers with no errors, click "Submit and Request Run" at the top of the page
- You may check the progress of your submitted job for 48 hours after it's been processed
- If you'd like to review errors, click View/Download Results at the top right