What is the Importer?
The Importer is used both internally at Handshake and externally by our partners to analyze and import data into Handshake.
How does it work?
Think of the Importer as a translator between a CSV file and Handshake. It translates a CSV into JSON that's fed into our API and into Handshake.
How do I get access to the Importer?
The importer is an awesome tool, but it is a bit complex and handles a lot of sensitive data. Before we give you access, we ask that you complete this course on TalentLMS. If you don’t have a TalentLMS account, please login to the Handshake App, select the "help" menu option, then select "Training." Note that you need to turn your pop-up blocker off in order to login to our course platform. Once you take the 4 question quiz on the Importer Course, it will automatically generate a task for our team to add you to the importer.
You will sign in with your email address and create a password specific to the Importer.
What does this process look like?
- You'll upload a formatted CSV into the Handshake Importer App. Depending on what type of data you are importing, the importer requires different headers and values. Please see the help center for an article on importing each different type of data.
- From there, it will go through an analysis, providing you with any corrections that need to be made prior to the file processing.
- If corrections are needed, a new file can be re-uploaded, repeating the analysis process
- Always keep in mind that the Help Center is a great resource to aid in troubleshooting files! If you're still having trouble, please reach out to our Support Team.
- Once the file passes with no errors, just click "Submit and Request Run"! From there, our team will queue it up for processing within 24 hours.
- If for any reason it cannot be processed, someone will reach out for next steps.
- You may return to the original job page to review its current status, but please note you may not see the job anymore if it was either 100% successful, support made corrections to the file internally, or if it's been more than 48 hours.
- You can also review the errors by clicking "View/Download Results"
So how do I get started?
To access the Importer App, go to https://importer.joinhandshake.com and log in with your credentials.
- To upload a new CSV, click the upper right of the screen: + Upload New CSV
- Next, select the file you want to upload and the file type in the dropdown:
- Insert a description of the file.
- Save job when complete - The analysis may take several minutes
- Scroll down to review any errors, after the analysis has completed (refresh the page periodically). If any errors occurred, correct them and upload a new job
- When your file has passed the analyzers with no errors, click "Submit and Request Run" at the top of the page
- You may check the progress of your submitted job for 48 hours after it's been processed
- If you'd like to review errors, click View/Download Results at the top right