What is the Importer?
The Importer is used both internally at Handshake and externally by our partners to analyze and import data into Handshake.
How does the Importer work?
Think of the Importer as a translator between a CSV file and Handshake. It translates a CSV into JSON that's fed into our API and into Handshake.
How do I access the Importer?
The importer is an awesome tool, but it is a bit complex and handles a lot of sensitive data, so we ask that you complete this course on TalentLMS. If you don’t have a TalentLMS account, please login to the Handshake App, select the "help" menu option, then select "Training." Note that you need to turn your pop-up blocker off in order to login to our course platform.
Once you take the 4 question quiz on the Importer Course, it will automatically generate a task for our team to add you to the importer. It can take up to 24hrs for our team to confirm and add you to the tool.
You will sign in with your email address and create a password specific to the Importer.
What does the upload process look like?
- Upload: You'll upload a formatted CSV into the Handshake Importer App. The file formatting will depend on which data you are importing, and each data type should have it's own article and header recommendations.
- See the full list of import options in the Importer section
- Analyze: The file will then go through an automatic analysis, providing you with any corrections that need to be made prior to the file processing.
- Review this article for common errors and next steps
- Correct: If corrections are needed, a new file can be re-uploaded, repeating the analysis process
- Submit: Once the file passes with no errors, select the "Submit and Request Run" button.
- Our team will queue it up for processing within 24 hours.
- Feedback: If for any reason it cannot be processed, the Support team will reach out to you for next steps.
- Review this article for the CSV rules and file type requirements
- Status: Return to the original job page to review its current status
- Note: you may not see the job anymore if it was either: 100% successful, Support made corrections to the file internally, or if it's been more than 48 hours.
- Review: You can also review any errors by clicking "View/Download Results"
- Hooray - that's it!
Give it a try:
To access the Importer App, go to https://importer.joinhandshake.com and log in with your credentials.
- To upload a new CSV, click the upper right of the screen: + Upload New CSV
- Next, select the file you want to upload and the file type in the dropdown:
- Insert a description of the file.
- Save job when complete - The analysis may take several minutes
- Scroll down to review any errors, after the analysis has completed (refresh the page periodically). If any errors occurred, correct them and upload a new job
- When your file has passed the analyzers with no errors, click "Submit and Request Run" at the top of the page
- You may check the progress of your submitted job for 48 hours after it's been processed
- If you'd like to review errors, click View/Download Results at the top right
- Student Sync: How to Import Student Data
- FAQs About the Student Data Import
- Common Importer Errors
- How to Re-Upload Failed Rows
- CSV Rules and Requirements
- What Are Sensitive Fields and How Do I Update?