Sensitive fields are basically identifying fields. They identify that a user account is unique.
I've received an error "attempted to change sensitive fields" - What do I do?
- This occurs when any change is made to email, auth identifier, card identifier, username
- Review the user/s that failed, determine if any sensitive field has been updated since the last sync
- Was this an intended change?
- If yes, see 'How-To Change Sensitive Fields'
- Otherwise, confirm that the values being sent through to Handshake are accurate
- If this change was not intended, these users do *not* have duplicate accounts (e.g. with a personal email), and there are no duplications being sent in the user file, please reach out to email@example.com to assist with the issue.
How do I know if there are duplicate sensitive fields in my file?
- When uploading to the Importer, you'll receive feedback from the analyzers indicating any duplicate sensitive field values found
- Use a personal program (such as Excel or Numbers) to compare possible duplicate records
How do I know if this sensitive field is associated to another account within Handshake?
- These fields should be unique to each user at your school.
- If these fields are not unique to the student, please contact your Account Manager immediately to go over alternatives for handling this situation
- If sensitive field is associated ("already taken") to another account, this is generally due to the user having multiple Handshake accounts
- e.g. User signed up with personal email address but associated their school username and auth_identifier to their account
- When school attempts to sync this user with their school email, username, auth_id, that user will fail due to this information being associated with another account
- This generally requires a deconfliction that happens at the Student and School level (to determine which account they want to retain)
- The undesired account is then archived
How do I change sensitive fields?
To update email_address:
Note: This is done based on looking user up by username
- Sync must include, at a minimum:
- must match precisely what's in Handshake
- set to "TRUE"
- this is the new email address
To update username, auth_identifier, card_id:
Note: This is done based on looking user up by email_address
- Sync must include at a minimum:
- field needing to be changed (if *not* username):
- Set to "TRUE"
Note: This is not a standard sync you can run through AWS or the Importer. Your Handshake Importer Team will need to configure the file task to allow for changing sensitive fields.
Please notify firstname.lastname@example.org when you have uploaded (to the importer app) the file that needs to run to update email addresses or another sensitive field.