On-campus employment is a great way to drive student engagement in Handshake. In many cases it can be a critical factor to engaging faculty and partners across campus.
This article outlines how to setup the company model for managing on-campus employment in Handshake.
Functionality Refresher on the Company Model:
- Each department is set up as their own separate company profile within Handshake
- Each campus department/office will manage their own staff and postings
- Your account manager will have to open up a set amount of domain spaces (@university.edu) for each company
- The experience for on-campus employers with the company model will be very similar to those employers who are not affiliated with your campus
- Will “work study” be managed as a single separate profile, or will work study postings be integrated within each department?
How to Configure:
- Identify a core list of departments and offices that will need to create their own company profile
- Provide your Handshake Partnership Manager with the number of domain spaces you’d like available for these on-campus employment profiles
- If you have 100 departments, we will open 100 domain spaces
- Determine any guidelines or company naming conventions you’d like campus employers to adhere to
- EX: All companies will be titled: “University Name: Department Title”
- EX: All postings will be titled: “School U: Job Title”
- Determine if your on-campus employment model will also include work study
- Will work study be a separate profile? Or will it be integrated within each of these department accounts?
- Explore this article on work study to configure
- Let your Partnership Manager know you'll be managing work study in Handshake
- Identify a POC for each department who will act as the company owner
- One or two individuals (usually an office admin) will post on behalf of the entire department
- Send an email introduction to those these department POCs when you're ready to launch, letting each of them know about this upcoming switch.
Email example to communicate to department POCs:
Tailor this example email copy to communicate the upcoming changes to your on-campus departments:
"Hi [insert contact name],
We’re excited to announce that[ University Name] will move its on campus employment posting and hiring process into Handshake.
Please read these instructions on how to move your department's open jobs into Handshake:
- Sign up for an Employer account in Handshake
- Create a company profile for your department
- Keep in mind [XYZ guidelines and title structure]
- Use this time to collect any job postings and information out of [add current system name here] and copy the details over to Handshake as this system will shut down on [XYZ date]
Here are some excellent resources you can explore to get acquainted with the system:
- Handshake's Employer Help Center
- [Career Services Office Name] contact: [email/phone here]
[On-Campus Employment POC]"
FAQs + Best Practices
Explore our Handshake Community to learn more!