Handshake is now able to track virtual student attendee checkins at EDU-hosted events! To checkin, the student only needs to click on the meeting URL from the event's page in Handshake.
Note: If the student copies and pastes the link outside of Handshake instead, a checkin will not be counted for that student. The checkin feature is also only available when accessing Handshake via an internet browser—support on our mobile app will be released later in 2020.
Virtual event details
In order to track attendee checkins, make sure the event type is set to Virtual Session and you've included the virtual meeting URL (located below the room field in the event creation form).
- Please see Events: Creating an Event for additional steps to setup an event.
Student registration and checkin
The virtual meeting URL is only visible to students once they have registered for the event. In order to checkin, the student just needs to click on the event link.
Note: we do not limit the checkin window, so the first time the student clicks on the URL will reflect in the checkin time that is recorded. If you'd like to ensure the most accurate reporting for event attendance, you can either:
- double-check the event attendee list and remove any checkins prior to the event start (just in case a student has clicked on the link early)
- not include the virtual meeting URL until you're ready for students to use the link
- Use this workflow with caution to ensure the link is added in time for the student to join the event!
If you'd like to remove an early checkin:
1. Click Attendees in the upper-right corner of the event overview page.
2. Locate the student that is checked in, then uncheck the Checked in box to remove the checkin.
Note: if you click Remove Attendee, the student registration will be canceled, and the student will not receive automated notifications of the upcoming event. They would need to register for the event again in order to rejoin.
Reporting on event attendee checkins
Student attendee checkin will be recorded for reporting purposes the same as a kiosk checkin. This date and time stamp will be included in the:
- Event overview page (on the left of the page)
- Attendee list (via the Attendees tab)
- Attendee CSV download
- Analytics saved and custom reporting