In order to register for a career fair in Handshake, the following must all be true:
- The fair must be open for registration and not hidden.
- Your company profile must not be declined at the institution.
- You must have the appropriate role type assigned to your user account.
- For Premium partners, the corresponding permission must also be granted.
If you're encountering issues when attempting to register for a fair, follow the recommendations below to resolve the problem.
Fair visibility and registration dates
Fair visibility is determined by each institution posting the career fair — if you are unable to locate the fair, even when using the search filters, it's likely the fair has been hidden, and you'll need to contact the institution's Career Centre directly to request an invitation link be shared with you.
All career fairs have designated date ranges for employer registration. If the fair's registration window is closed, the blue button Register will change to Registration Period Has Passed, and you'll need to contact the institution to find out what options are available.
If you're on the fair's page, and there's no Register button and no alternate text indicating registration is closed, proceed to the next section, Connection status with the institution.
Connection status with the institution
If an institution has declined your company's request to connect, you won't be able to access their fairs or register for them.
To check your company's connection status with an institution:
1. Search for the institution's name in the blue global search bar, located in the upper-middle of the screen, then click on the institution's name from the dropdown.
2. Locate the Institution Approval section in the middle of the page.
- If this section indicates Declined in a red oval, the institution has declined your connection and you won't be able to register for a fair at the institution. Learn more about how to followup with the institution or submit a second request for approval in Declined by an Institution.
- If this section indicates any other status than Declined, you should be able to locate and register for their fairs — if not, proceed to the next section, Eligible Role Types.
Eligible Role Types
For Core employers, only Recruiters and Owners are able to register for a fair.
For Premium partners, Advocates, all Recruiter types, Owners, and Admins are able to register for a fair, as long as the "Manage Fairs" permission is checked for the role type. For steps to configure permissions, check out How to Configure Role Level Permissions.
For both Core and Premium partners, Representatives are not able to register for the fair.
For more specific information regarding roles, refer to A Guide to Employer Role Types in Handshake.
How to confirm your Role in Handshake
Click My Profile on the left navigation bar. On the left side of the page, under User Type, your Role will be displayed.
How to change your Role Type or Permissions in Handshake
If you are assigned Representative, or if you are assigned an eligible role type but need "Manage Fairs" permission granted, you'll need to reach out to the Owner or Admin of your company page. Only Owners and Admins can update user roles and permissions within the company account.
If you need assistance locating the Owner of the account, refer to Who is the Owner of my Company's Profile?