Welcome to Handshake! The steps below have been carefully organised to make sure your onboarding experience is as smooth as possible. Set yourself up for success with Handshake by following the checklist in the order listed below.
1. Create a user account
You will need a user account in order to login and use Handshake. If you've received an invite from an institution or a colleague, you can use the link provided in the email to create your account. If you're signing up without an invite, go to https://app.joinhandshake.co.uk/employer_registrations/new to create an employer account. Refer to Create an Employer User Account, Join a Company, and Connect with Institutions.
2. Join your existing company on Handshake, or create a new one
In order to take any action with institutions, you must first be connected to your company profile on Handshake. After you've confirmed your account, you will be prompted to select your company and request connection. If your company is already in Handshake, your company will populate as an option to select from. If it isn't, you should see the option to create a new company profile. Learn How to Create a New Company Profile.
- Use your corporate email address if you have one. This will ensure that your company profile is shown to you if it is in Handshake, and can expedite the process of connecting to your company.
- Request to join your company rather than an institution you'd like to recruit from. Example: if you want to recruit from Cambridge, do not select Cambridge as your company. Instead select Cambridge as an institution request in Step 4 (Connect with Institutions). On-campus employers are the exception to this rule.
3. Request to connect with institutions
To post jobs or events to students, you must request and receive approval from each institution selected. After your account is validated and you've connected to your company profile, you can begin to request institutions. When choosing institutions, we recommend starting with only 10-20 until your company is established on Handshake. For additional details, refer to Institution Network Management.
- Start by requesting only a few institutions. Consider requesting connection with local institutions, especially institutions from which you or your existing employees have attended. This will allow you to build positive relationships with institutions while building your presence on Handshake. You can request additional institutions as you become approved at your initial institutions. In addition, identify and request institutions that have the most qualified candidates based on your job preferences. Learn more about Institution Network Management: Institution Recommendations.
- It can take up to five business days for an institution to approve your request. If you do not receive a response within that time frame, contact the Career Services department at the institution. You can find the contact information for an institution's Career Services by selecting Institutions in the left hand menu, and then clicking on the name of the institution you wish to reach. For more information, refer to Understanding Institution Approvals.
4. Customise your profile
A well-crafted user and company profile plays a vital role in shaping your brand and building rapport and trust with our students and institution partners. Put your best foot forward with a complete user and company profile.
5. Set notification preferences
While there are default notification settings enabled, you may customise how and when you receive communication from Handshake. To learn more, refer to Default Notification Preferences (Employers).
6. Build your recruiting skills
Pathfinders arms you with the latest strategies, tools, and data to achieve your recruitment goals, and allows you to earn professional development credits. Learn How to build your early talent recruiting skills with Pathfinders.
Note: Handshake Pathfinders requires a separate account with Skilljar. Sign-up with your preferred email and password.
7. Take action
Once you've connected to one or more institutions, you will be able to post jobs, request on-campus interview schedules, manage your applicants, and more.