Handshake's top priority is keeping students safe on the platform. When messages are exchanged in Handshake, you have the option to report employer messages that violate our guidelines. This includes spam messages, or those that appear fake or fraudulent.
Reporting a message allows our Trust and Safety team to proactively review the issue and act if needed. This safety measure is lost if messages are sent outside Handshake, so we recommend using our messaging feature to build new relationships with employers!
To report a message:
1. Click the three dots menu in the upper-right corner of the messaging window, then click Report Message.
2. Click the radio button to the left of the reason you are reporting the message:
- This employer appears to be fake or fraudulent
- if selected, please describe the situation by typing in the provided text box.
- This employer is spamming me
3. Click the blue button Submit to send your report to our Trust and Safety team for review.
Reporting a message will stop the other person from messaging you. The conversation will then be reviewed and moderated by Handshake. Your institution may also be looped in if appropriate.