Card swipe check-in allows students to checkin for appointments, interviews, and in-person fairs and events using their student ID cards.
1. Acquire and set up a card reader.
The card reader must meet the specifications referenced in Check-in Kiosk Hardware Recommendations.
- Once you have acquired a card reader, you'll need to plug it in, open any program that accepts keyboard input (e.g., the Handshake check-in kiosk), and swipe a card. The card reader needs to be functioning normally in order to produce the data needed for our team to set up the kiosk.
2. Make sure your student sync file includes the card_id field.
This links their card ID to their profile and connects card swiping to each student. Ensure card ID has been uploaded in Importing Student Data.
- Note: if you’re experiencing issues with the leading 0’s of card ID, check out Importer: Student Card IDs and Leading Zeros.
3. Identify the output and exact input of the card swipe.
Along with the output you receive from the card reader, we will need to know which part of the input is actually the card id.
- For example, a card reader could give us ";X2934010923-AD402020222A," but the card id is only the "293401" portion of the input.
- In some cases, the card reader may only give us the card id portion, so the full output may not be necessary.
4. Submit a kiosk setup request via this form.
After confirming your card reader works correctly, card_id is imported successfully to Handshake, and identifying the output and input, complete the linked form in this step.
This form generates a ticket for our Tech Support Team, who will be able to get this up and running for you. You'll receive a confirmation once the setup is complete.
Article is closed for comments.