Handshake's Check-in Kiosk is used to record student attendance for events, appointments, career fairs, and interviews. It also facilitates printing name tags for in-person fairs and events.
Note: kiosks are not available for virtual fairs; when students launch a session, this will be recorded as a check-in for reporting purposes.
- Check-in Kiosk prerequisites
- Launching the Check-in Kiosk
- Check-in process for students
- Name tag printing
- Closing a Check-in Kiosk
Check-in Kiosk prerequisites
Account: a Career Services user account in Handshake with the following roles/permissions:
Data Restrictions: Show Check-in Kiosk Launch - this must be checked in order to have the option to launch a kiosk in any location.
- All Career Services users have Access to Events and Fairs, so with this additional permission, they will be able to launch a general kiosk via Events, as well as an in-person event or fair specific kiosk.
Appointments: Access (minimum) in order to access Kiosks from the Appointments tab.
- Note: this launches the same general kiosk as the option from Events, so there is no need to grant Appointments-based roles unless they use Appointments.
- Data Restrictions: Show Check-in Kiosk Launch - this must be checked in order to have the option to launch a kiosk in any location.
Hardware: For more information regarding the hardware needed, refer to Check-in Kiosk Hardware Recommendations.
- Note: there are different requirements in order to use name tag printing via the Kiosk. Refer to Name Tag Printing System Requirements for details.
- Software: There is no additional software necessary - only access to Handshake via a web browser. For details, check out Handshake Supported Browsers (for Career Services).
Launching the Check-in Kiosk
When logged into your Career Services account, there are several ways to access the Check-in Kiosk. Regardless of how you open the Kiosk, the feature has the same general appearance and collects data the same way.
- If you open a Check-in Kiosk for a specific event or fair, students may check-in without pre-registering.
- If you open a general Check-in Kiosk, students may still check in if they are not pre-registered as long as the event is not an invite-only event, and they meet the qualifications.
- Students can check in for an appointment, event, or fair beginning at 8 hours prior to the start time.
To learn more about how to launch a kiosk, refer to Launch a Check-in Kiosk.
Check-in process for students
When a Kiosk is launched, students can enter their email or username to check in via the Kiosk. Handshake also supports check-in using student IDs, as long as the ID is in the student profile.
If your institution is interested in having students swipe their ID cards to check-in, check out How to Enable Card Swipe Check In for Students.
Name tag printing
Handshake enables you to automatically print name tags for student attendees at in-person events and fairs after the student checks in via the kiosk.
For more information about the setup to print student attendee name tags, refer to our Name Tag Printing Configuration Guide.
Closing a Check-In Kiosk
Closing a Kiosk depends on the way it was launched:
- If you did not choose "keep me logged in" during the launch: close the tab/window the Kiosk is in to close the Kiosk completely.
- If you chose "keep me logged in" during the launch: click on any left menu options to navigate out of the Kiosk.