We've been working to make staff roles more granular, and now we are happy to announce that we've put together staff permission templates based on the individual's role within your school. This change will help you get through the process of adding new staff members more quickly while ensuring that they have appropriate access to information within Handshake.
Existing accounts will need to have roles managed as normal; this process will only apply when creating a new staff member account.
When adding a new staff member:
Select “Add Staff Member” from the Staff Management page in School Settings.
This will load to the Create Account for School Staff page. There are three steps to complete: Account Information, Personal Information, and Roles.
In the first step, you’ll be able to enter the following account information:
- Username (required)
- Auth Identifier (optional)
- Email Address (required)
- Message to Include with New Account Details (optional)
When you’ve completed the form, click on Next: Personal Information
In the second step, you’ll be able to enter the following personal information:
- First Name (required)
- Last Name (optional)
- Organizational Role (required) - Select one of the following from the drop-down menu:
- Administrative Assistant
- Assistant Dean
- Assistant Director
- Associate Dean
- Associate Director
- Associate Vice Provost
- Career Counselor / Coach
- Coordinator / Manager
- Executive Director
- Senior Director
- Student Assistant
- Title (optional)
- Mobile Phone Number (optional)
- Office Phone Number (optional)
- Office Location (optional) - choose one from drop-down menu
- Career Centers (optional) - choose one or many from drop-down menu
- Bio (optional)
Once you are done with these fields, click on Next: Roles to proceed.
In the third and final step, you’ll see 8 options for Permission Groups. These are preconfigured with certain permissions selected, based on the Permission Group. You can view what permissions are selected by clicking on “Show Permissions”.
The 8 Permission Groups are:
- Career Counselor
- Employer Relations
- Administrative Assistant
- Student Employee
- Faculty/Campus Partner
- IT Specialist
- System Administrator
- Custom Permissions
- This option allows you to set up the permissions you prefer for the staff member being added.
- If you select any of the other 7 options, then uncheck/check a permission for that group, the selection will change to Custom Permissions.
Once you’ve selected the desired permissions, click on Create Account to finish setup and send the invitation email to the staff member.
The staff member will need to click on the link in the email received to finish setting up their account password and sign in.
For more information on what each role allows access to, please see Career Services Roles and Permissions.