On Handshake, you can track attendance at a non Handshake event with a shell event.
Features available only to Premium partners are indicated by an asterisk(*). For more information, please check out this resource.
A shell event can be used for the following event types:
- won’t be hosted at an institution
- may be hosted in partnership with a non-partner institution
- hosted with no institution affiliation (like a conference)
1. To create a shell event, click Events in the left navigation bar, and then click Request Event in the upper-right corner of the page. Learn more about How to Request an Event.
2. From there, complete the form with special attention to the fields below.
- Where is your event being held?
- *Handshake Video (only available to Premium partners with the Virtual & Events Module)
- External video platform (enter your video platform details (Zoom, Youtube, Webex, etc.)
- *Student check-in
- Check this box if you’d like candidates to check in automatically to your virtual event upon joining (only an option for events with Handshake hosted video)
- Invite institutions to promote your event
- Don't select any institutions in this field.
- Note: by excluding institutions in this field, the event becomes private and not visible to students. This enables you to use the event solely as a check-in device to track attendance.
- Add a registration limit (optional)
- Specify a registration limit, if preferred.
- Note: if using Handshake video, attendee limits are capped at 50, including the host. Make sure to include event hosts when setting the registration limit. For example, if you have two event hosts, your attendee limit should be 48.
Once your event has been created, you'll be brought directly to the Overview page of your event.
From there, you can view general event information such as date, time, location, description, activity, and comments. You can also view a quick snapshot of your RSVPs to the right of the page. Learn more about Accessing Event and Fair RSVPs.
*Premium partners with Event Management will have the option to print an event QR code to enable attendees to check-in to events hosted in-person. To begin, click on the grey button Print event QR code towards the top of the page. After the QR code is printed, place the print-out in an accessible area so attendees can easily scan it with their mobile device to check-in.