When incorporating ethnicity and gender data in reporting, there are unique considerations to take into account. This article provides an overview of how gender and ethnicity is added to Handshake and field visibility, recommendations for checking your school's importing status, and reporting considerations.
Importing ethnicity and gender
Schools are able to import student gender and ethnicity as a part of the student file.
The field accepts custom text, so you can include any text that you wish to upload. For instructions on importing student ethnicity or gender, refer to Importing Student Data.
How can I tell if my school is already importing this data?
For any reporting regarding gender or ethnicity, we strongly recommend starting with the anchor reports linked below.
These reports will show whether the majority of your students in Handshake have these fields filled out. When reviewing the reports, compare the count of students with a reported gender or ethnicity to the total number of students you have in Handshake.
If the majority of your students do not have a gender or ethnicity field designation, we recommend connecting with your team’s main point of contact for using the importer.
- For any reporting regarding gender in Handshake, we strongly recommend starting with this anchor report.
- For any reporting regarding ethnicity in Handshake, we strongly recommend starting with this anchor report.
Gender and ethnicity information visibility
Imported gender and ethnicity information is not visible to employers in Handshake.
Students cannot view or edit the imported gender field or information on their profile. Students can self report their gender as well as their pronouns in separate fields from imported gender data.
When viewing the student profile, the “Gender” field is imported by the school and can be used for reporting in Insights. The “student-specified gender” field is the one students can fill out and cannot currently be reported on in Analytics.
Students can view imported ethnicity. Students have the ability to fill out the ethnicity field on their profile and can update the information that a school may have imported. The most recently updated information in this field will be displayed in Analytics.
- Note: If ethnicity has been imported, and a student updates the ethnicity field, the next importer job may update this field, if the data in the field has changed between jobs. The importer compares data between importer jobs, not between the importer job and what the student may have updated in their profile. When processing the job:
- If there are differences between the two jobs, the importer will push forward all of the data in the current job, thereby refreshing all of the student data fields.
- If there are no differences between the two jobs, no data will be pushed through.
Pulling gender and ethnicity data into reporting
Before creating new reports with this field, we recommend taking the following steps:
- check your anchor report(s) to understand how many students currently have information filled
- review the saved report blog post linked below
We have lists of saved reports that can be used as a starting point of student engagement data for gender and for ethnicity. We provide an overview of these reports in our blog post: DEI Report Templates to Drive Equitable Engagement.
If you’d like to include gender and/or ethnicity in custom reports you created, you can add the dimensions "Gender" and/or "Ethnicity" from the field picker on the left of the custom report's page.
These dimensions are included in the following student-based templates:
- Career Fairs
Career Fair Session Attendees
First Destination Responses
Interview Schedule Applications
- Job Reviews
Room Only Interview Schedules
For more information on creating a custom report, refer to Analytics: Creating a New Custom Report.