In Analytics, the Share button provides a way to quickly generate a shareable URL, directing the recipient to the report viewable on-screen at that time, regardless of report status. This means the link can be used for an unsaved report (either an unsaved new report or existing report with unsaved changes) without requiring you to save the report.
The Share button enables the following workflows:
- Sharing a new unsaved report –– upon clicking the link, recipients will be able to view and save the unsaved report.
- Quickly sharing a saved report
- Sharing an existing report with unsaved changes –– upon clicking the link, recipients will be able to view the existing report with any changes in place at the time the sender clicked Share.
- In this instance, the title of the report will display as “New Report” to the recipient, since a saved report with unsaved modifications is treated as an unsaved report. The link recipient will be able to save the modified report as a new report.
For more foundational knowledge on Analytics, please refer to Analytics: The Art of Reporting and for overall reporting guidance, Getting Started with Reporting on Handshake.
Note: you will need both Analytics: Access and Manage permissions in order to view, save, and share reports. If you do not have these permissions, please reach out to your team's Handshake administrator to request access.
Using the Share button
On any Analytics report in Handshake, the Share button will always be located in the upper-right corner of the page and clickable at any time –– the buttons next to Share will vary, depending on what type of report is being viewed (saved vs unsaved). These variables are detailed below with screenshot examples of each status.
At the time the Share button is clicked, the link generated will bring the recipient to the exact report viewable on-screen - if changes are made after clicking Share, these changes will not be reflected in the link shared. You'd need to click Share after making all desired changes.
When the user clicks Share, a confirmation will appear in the lower-right corner that states “Report link copied to clipboard”. This indicates the link is ready to be used.
- Note: if you click Share and the confirmation does not appear, test pasting to determine if the link was generated successfully. If not, try clearing your browser cache and cookies, then testing in a new browser window. In addition, confirm you are using a Handshake supported browser, as detailed in Handshake Supported Browsers (for Career Services).
Share new unsaved report
The Share button will be to the left of the Save Report button in the upper-right corner of the page.
Share existing report with unsaved changes
After modifying an existing report, the Share button will be to the left of the Options and Confirm Changes buttons in the upper-right corner of the page.
In the screenshot below, the Confirm Changes button is a brighter blue and clickable because the changes have not been saved.
- Note: Currently the "Duplicate" functionality DOES NOT take into account any unsaved changes. If you click Duplicate on a saved report with unsaved changes, you will be duplicating the saved version of that report.
Share existing report with saved changes (Saved Report)
When viewing an existing report with saved changes, the Share button will be to the left of the Options and Confirm Changes buttons in the upper-right corner of the page.
In the screenshot below, Confirm Changes is not clickable, as there are no unsaved changes.
Receiving unsaved report or existing report with unsaved changes
If you receive a link to an unsaved report or an existing report with unsaved changes, and you are not the owner of the report, the report title will display as New Report, and the buttons Share and Save Report will be in the upper-right corner of the page.
Save Report is clickable, and if clicked, the saved report title will default to Report Template, but you may update the title as desired.
Receiving existing report with saved changes
If you receive a link to a saved report (with saved changes), the Share and Options buttons will be displayed in the upper-right corner of the page. You will not have the option to Save Report, as it is already a saved report.
If you do not have access to the Saved Report’s permissions, an error will display that states “You are not authorized to view this page”, and you will need to be granted permission by the report owner.
Article is closed for comments.