SETTING UP THE HANDSHAKE VIDEO TEST
(This is available for career services and employer users on Handshake)
Here is the link to test your video: http://app.joinhandshake.com/video_sessions/test_session
1. Sign into Handshake and click the above link. The screen will load to a single text box and button.
2. If you have teammates who can join you, type in at least one other teammate’s name in the participant tab. That way you can test seeing and hearing each other! (This is not required, but note that other users cannot join your session unless you add them here!)
- This person should be someone who also has a Handshake user account with your company.
- Note: You must add all names that you want to use this test session; if the person has not been selected in the dropdown field, they will see a permissions error when they try to join.
3. Click Create test session and send your colleagues the test link that will appear on the screen.
- Note: the session will only be live for 30 minutes. If you run out of time, you can generate another session as needed!
TIPS WHEN YOU JOIN
Go to Settings (the three dots on the Join screen), and look at your audio and video settings to ensure you’re using the right camera and audio source.
- You'll also have access to this same menu once you join the session - just look for the word Settings in the lower-left corner of the screen!
Click “test” to test audio.
- TIP: Make sure to disconnect any bluetooth devices that you aren't intending to use!
Click the Video tab to ensure the correct webcam is selected.
Use the round buttons at the bottom of the screen to enable/disable audio, video, and screen-sharing. Make sure the video, sound, and screen-share work for you and your colleagues.
If it works - GREAT! You are all set for your fair!
If anything is not working as expected
If there are any issues with hearing, seeing, or chatting with your colleagues, you must address these issues prior to the fair or they will not work for the fair itself. You will either need to try using another device or get in touch with your IT team. Your company's IT team will likely need to resolve firewall or permission issues in order for your device to work for the fair.
Please also make sure to execute all of the steps in our troubleshooting documentation to confirm correct settings configuration.Your team may want to loop in IT support for help with advanced settings.
Please feel free to use the below template when reaching out to your company IT contact:
My colleagues and I are joining a career fair hosted on Handshake on [X date.] We will be using a Handshake’s virtual fair tool (hosted by Twilio) and it will be used by employers at our company and students at [Y University.]
We have tested this tool and it currently looks like there may be firewall or permission issues with our connection. Could you please review the requirements and troubleshooting in this article? Handshake also recommends ensuring that we have unblocked app.joinhandshake.com for audio and video permissions within Chrome and Firefox.
Happy to set up another test once any updates are made.