SETTING UP THE HANDSHAKE VIDEO TEST
(This is available for career services and employer users on Handshake)
Here is the link to test your video: http://app.joinhandshake.com/video_sessions/test_session
1. Sign into Handshake and click the above link. The screen will load to a single text box and button.
2. If you have teammates who can join you, type in at least one other teammate’s name in the participant tab. That way you can test audio, video, and screen-sharing! (This is not required, but note that other users cannot join your session unless you add them here!)
- This person should be someone who also has a Handshake user account with your company.
- Note: You must add all names that you want to use this test session; if the person has not been selected in the dropdown field, they will see a permissions error when they try to join.
3. Click Create test session and send your colleagues the test link that will appear on the screen.
- Note: the session will only be live for 30 minutes. If you run out of time, you can generate another session as needed!
TIPS WHEN YOU JOIN
If you're using Chrome, a blurred background is on by default. If you'd like to display your normal background instead, you can toggle this setting off in the upper-right corner of the video preview.
Blurry background also works on Edge, however, Chrome is Handshake's recommendation for the smoothest experience with all of our features!
Click the three dots menu in the lower-right corner of the video preview to access audio, video, and screen share settings. This helps you confirm you’re using the right camera and audio source.
You'll also have access to this same menu once you join the session via the word Settings in the lower-left corner of the screen.
From the three dots menu, click on either Audio settings or Video settings to review.
Tip: Make sure to disconnect any bluetooth devices that you aren't intending to use!
In the audio settings tab, make sure the correct devices are selected for your Microphone and Speakers. Click the microphone icon to test your input, and click the word Test to test your sound output.
In the video settings tab, make sure the correct camera is selected from the dropdown menu.
A preview of the video is displayed if your video is already on in the join page or in the session. If your video is off, no preview is displayed.
Participants screen share settings
In the Participants tab, you can choose to allow screensharing–check the box next to "Allow participants to share their screen" to enable.
Once you're in the session, use the round buttons at the bottom of the screen to enable/disable your audio, video, or to start sharing your screen. Make sure the video, sound, and screen-share work for you and your colleagues.
If it works - GREAT! You are all set for your fair!
For a more thorough feature breakdown, check out Hosting via Video on Handshake!
If anything is not working as expected
If there are any issues with hearing, seeing, or chatting with your colleagues, you must address these issues prior to the fair or they will not work for the fair itself. You can either try using another device, troubleshoot your current setup, or get in touch with your IT team. Your company's IT team will likely need to resolve firewall or permission issues in order for your device to work for the fair.
Please also make sure to execute all of the steps in our troubleshooting documentation to confirm correct settings configuration.Your team may want to loop in IT support for help with advanced settings.
Please feel free to use the below template when reaching out to your company IT contact:
My colleagues and I are joining a career fair hosted on Handshake on [X date.] We will be using a Handshake’s virtual fair tool (hosted by Twilio) and it will be used by employers at our company and students at [Y University.]
We have tested this tool and it currently looks like there may be firewall or permission issues with our connection. Could you please review the requirements and troubleshooting in this article? Handshake also recommends ensuring that we have unblocked app.joinhandshake.com for audio and video permissions within Chrome and Firefox.
Happy to set up another test once any updates are made.