Prior to attending a session with integrated video on Handshake, we recommend reviewing the requirements included in this resource and making any adjustments to your setup. Doing this in advance will ensure a seamless experience when the session starts!
All attendees must have an active Handshake student account in order to join a session!
- System setup and settings minimum requirements
- Mobile settings and capabilities
- Mac system requirements for screen sharing
- Windows 10 required settings for camera and mic
System setup and settings minimum requirements
- An internet connection – broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE)
- Speakers and a microphone – built-in or USB plug-in or wireless Bluetooth
**Optional, but required if you'd like to use video: A webcam or HD webcam - built-in or USB plug-in
- Tip: If you're using a webcam that isn't built in to your device, make sure any additional permissions/settings are configured prior to your scheduled virtual interaction!
- Desktop or laptop computer – mobile devices (smart phones and tablets, e.g. iPads) are only supported for students using our mobile app on iOS and Android.
Modern desktop web browser which supports WebRTC – make sure pop-ups are allowed in the browser!
- We support the latest versions of:
- Safari – users are limited to sharing the full screen and cannot choose individual apps/browser windows, etc.
- MS Edge – older, non-Chromium versions of Microsoft Edge (versions less than 79) do not support screen sharing capabilities
- Each browser has it's own security and privacy settings that may require you granting permission for the microphone and camera to be used by Handshake.
- We support the latest versions of:
The configurations below are applicable on mobile devices (via smart phone or tablet, e.g. iPad).
Note: screen sharing is not supported via mobile web access or the mobile app for Android.
The Handshake mobile app (for iOS and Android) supports attendees engaging in sessions via:
- audio, video, and chat
- displaying a host's shared screen
- *screensharing (mobile app for iOS only)
Attendees may be able to launch sessions via mobile web successfully, however, this is not officially supported by Handshake, and you may be limited by your device's capabilities.
We strongly recommend desktop web and native mobile apps for the best experience!
On iOS devices, attendees will only be able to engage via Safari, as Apple does not allow third party browsers access to the device camera or microphone.
On Android devices, the camera and microphone should be able to be accessed by any browser.
If prompted for permission to access the camera or microphone, you must allow access in order to use video or audio.
Mac system requirements for screen sharing
To share a screen or window on a Mac, you must give each specific browser or app permission.
1. Open System Preferences, then select Security & Privacy.
2. Click the lock in the lower-right corner to authenticate for changes.
3. Select the Privacy tab, select Screen Recording, then check the box for the desired browser.
If the browser is open when you change this setting, you must quit and reopen the browser for the changes to take effect.
- Tip: for a smooth experience, make sure this permission is granted prior to your session start time!
Windows 10 required settings for camera and mic
Windows has its own privacy settings for microphone & camera that are independent of the browser. By default in most cases this is turned off.
There are two settings pages:
- Settings > Privacy > Microphone
- Settings > Privacy > Camera
Both pages have two toggles:
- Allow apps to use my microphone/camera (used for built-in Microsoft apps from their app store)
- Allow desktop apps to use my microphone/camera (used for things like browsers and Zoom)
The second toggle (for desktop apps) can only be enabled if the first is enabled, so you will need to turn both toggles on in both places for your browser to be able to access their mic and camera.
Article is closed for comments.