Safety: Actions to Take if a Student Has Given Out Personal Information to a Fraudulent Employer

Tawnya -

If a student has given any personal information to a fraudulent employer, here are a few steps we recommend to take:

1. Report to local police. Police are responsible for conducting an investigation (regardless of whether the scam artist is local or not).

2. Contact Bank: If a student has sent money to a fraudulent employer, encourage them to immediately contact their bank or credit card company to protect the account and dispute any charges.

3. File a Report with the FTC: Please have the student report the job scam to the Federal Trade Commission, the nation's consumer protection agency, which collects complaints about companies, business practices, and identity theft. They can do this here.


Read More:

Fraudulent Employer Quick Tips for Students

How To Prevent Fraudulent Employers


Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request