Why Syncing Data into Handshake Matters
To get the most out of Handshake, and to ensure your students are accurately qualified for jobs, it’s critical to sync data to Handshake.
Importing student data is a vital step in implementation and makes sure that:
- Data is is up to date
- This information is imported directly from your student information system (SIS).
- Your students can discover amazing jobs and internships
- Students with University mapped data are much more likely to be contacted by an employer. Most students don’t want to enter this information themselves.
- Employers can trust student qualifications
- Course and Level of Study are all functionally tied to requirements on job postings in Handshake. Importing this information will ensure that students are qualified for positions they should be qualified for, and employers can quickly rely on the accuracy of the application. This in turn increases employer engagement across the platform.
- Students have a great experience upon their first login
- This first experience is crucial for long term student engagement.
- Analytics and reports are relevant
- Institutions that don’t sync a robust dataset have less students engaged, and a much harder time reporting on their impact. Importing even the most basic required fields empowers you to build reports and explore activity by particular cohorts.
Explore each of the collapsible headers for more information!
Student Profiles and Privacy
Student profiles are automatically set to private when their profiles are uploaded by the institution, or created by the student.
Students are in complete control of the information they choose to share and with whom. Learn more about student privacy options in Profile Privacy Options in Handshake.
Student Onboarding Process
When a student is invited by their institution to join Handshake, they'll be required to log in, set a password, and be prompted through the onboarding process.
To learn more about a student's on-boarding process, refer to About Student On-boarding.
- Hidden (default upon data sync)
- Activated Student (agreed to ToS, and opted for "Private" profile)
- Activated Student (agreed to ToS, and opted for "Community" profile)
- Activated Student (agreed to ToS, and opted for "Employers" profile)
For more information on student data and security, refer to Handshake's Security website.
Imported Data Fields
Even though students are in control of this data, we know that demographic and other identifying information can be sensitive. We have a variety of measures in place to ensure this information is protected from employers or other students.
For additional details on importing student data, refer to Importing Student Data.