Why Syncing Data into Handshake Matters
In order to get the most out of Handshake, and to ensure your students are accurately qualified, it’s critical to sync in data to Handshake. This student data import is a vital step in implementation and ensures that:
- Data is is up to date.We will be exporting this information directly from your student information system (SIS).
- Employers can trust student qualifications. Students' education level and graduation date are all functionally tied to requirements on job postings in Handshake. Importing this information will ensure that students are qualified for positions, and Employers can quickly rely on the accuracy of application. This in turn increases employer engagement across the platform.
- Students have a great experience upon their first login. Since many student fields are tied to job qualifications, importing this information will ensure that students are qualified for positions that they should be qualified for - and aren't confused when they don't seem to meet the requirements. This first experience is crucial for long term student engagement.
- Analytics and reports are relevant. Institutions that don’t sync a robust dataset see less students engaged and have a much harder time reporting on their impact. Importing even the most basic required fields empowers you to build reports and explore activity by particular cohorts.
Profiles & Data
Explore a few key principles around how students use Handshake and what data is shared:
- Students can use all features of Handshake, including applying to jobs and scheduling appointments, without making their profile public.
- Student profiles are automatically set to private, whether they are uploaded by the institution or created by the student.
Students can have four states they can be in regarding sharing their data. These are set out below.
Hidden (default upon data sync)
|Activated Student (agreed to TOS) opted for "Private" profile||Activated Student (agreed to TOS) opted for "Community" profile||Activated Student (agreed to TOS) opted for "Employers" profile|
Imported Data Fields:
Even thought students are in control of this data, we know that demographic, and identifying information can be sensitive. We have a variety of measures in place to ensure this is protected from employers or other students. Review our documentation on the Student data fields here.
Additionally, here is a quick refresher on the required fields:
|Email Address||Username||First Name||Last Name||Auth ID||Graduation Date||Level|
Onboarding Deep Dive from the Student Perspective:
When a student is invited by their institution to join Handshake, they will log in, set a password, and be prompted through the onboarding process.
Explore these article to take a closer look at the next steps: