There is no method in Handshake to change a System Label to a Normal/Public label. To change this information, you will need to use the Importer to first remove the system label, then you will need to upload the normal label. NOTE that even if only a single student has this system label applied to their account (such as Alumni or other students not in your sync), you will not be able to use it as a normal label until removed.
In order to remove the system label, you will need to complete following steps:
1) Run a report through insights to find all students that have system labels currently on their profile. Include the columns "Students Username", "Students Email", "Students First Name", and "Institution Labels Name List", as well as the filter "Institution Labels Name". You can access a pre-populated copy of this report HERE. NOTE: You will need to pull up a list of current system labels from your Labels page in Handshake -> Institution settings, and use this to filter:
In Handshake->Institution Settings->"Labels" section:
In Insights Report->"Institution Labels Name" filter box (If removing label3 from the example above):
IMPORTANT: Only enter the label names you want to KEEP in that filter box. This will ensure that the system labels that need to be removed are not included in your export (and thus "cleared" from Handshake when you submit that file).
2) Download the results into Excel or another application you have to edit CSV files.
3) Re-format the file to have the following column headers:
4) Your file will need to look something like this:
PLEASE NOTE - if you have generated a report from Analytics using the method noted above, the system_label_names will be separated by a comma - you will need to update all relevant commas to semi-colons. (note that if some of your labels contain commas, you won't want to make changes to those specific commas).
In order to 'translate' any commas from the Analytics report that you've generated please do the following:
- Split the relevant cells into different columns using the 'text to column' function.
- Use the 'TEXTJOIN' function to to merge them back together, using as many columns as necessary
Example formula =TEXTJOIN(";",TRUE,D2:E2)
More about the formula here.
- Copy/paste values from the new column into the same column (so they are no longer created by the formula, but exist in a stand alone state)
- Delete the other label columns (each of which will contain an individual label)
- The file is then ready to use for your import
Any labels not listed in this file will be removed completely from Handshake (assuming you used the report in step 1, which includes ALL students with current system labels).
5) Save as a CSV UTF-8 and re-load the file to the importer with a job type = students. If you are unsure how to save in proper CSV UTF-8 formatted file, please review this article.
PLEASE NOTE - in your upload file, you will need to ensure any required fields are included. These required fields will vary depending on your Importer settings, but may include the following:
The relevant column headings will need to be added to your report (the columns themselves can remain blank, but the headings need to be in place).
Once the job from steps 1 & 2 runs, the system label will be deleted.
In order to add the normal label, you will need to complete following steps:
6) We can re-use that name as a normal label. Create file to upload to the importer to add the normal label back to the student accounts. There's more information on creating this job type here.
- Column Headers
6) Save as a UTF-8 and re-load the file to the importer with a job type = labels. If you are unsure how to save in proper CSV UTF-8 formatted file, please review this article.