Within your employer user account, User Settings provides options to customise your Handshake experiences to best suit your individual needs.
Unlike Company Settings (which changes the Handshake platform for everyone on your team), User Settings preferences only impact you as an individual user. This article will help you navigate through the process of setting or updating your personalised user settings.
Accessing your user settings
From any page in Handshake, click on your name in the upper-right corner of the screen, then click User Settings.
Alternatively, you can click My Profile on the left navigation bar, then click the Account tab in the upper-right corner of the page.
Understanding user settings
For Core employer accounts, there are four sections of User Settings, accessible via the menu on the left of the page:
- Account information: Basic information about you that populates your profile on Handshake and allows you to set up real-time calendar exporting (so your Handshake events automatically get added to your primary calendar).
- Notification Preferences: Your preferences of when and how you receive activity notifications through Handshake.
- Status Messaging Preferences: Your preferences to set up if you'd like to send applicants automated messages based on application status.
- Create Notes from Email: Capture important dialog exchanges by importing emails into a notes page on Handshake.
Premium partner users who have been granted a Premium Seat have a fifth menu option:
- *Bulk Messaging Preferences: Handshake allows you to set safeguards to prevent you from contacting duplicate students when you send bulk messages. You can still send 1:1 messages to any student regardless of your bulk messaging preferences.
Updating your user settings
This page provides you with the opportunity to change information that populates your profile, including your name, job title, email address, bio, alma mater, and more. We recommend to fill out all of these fields for the best experience!
Check the box for Visible on Company Profile to be displayed in the Public Staff List.
After you've made the necessary changes, click Update User in the lower-right corner of the page to save the updates.
Note: there are additional settings available for your profile (such as your profile photo and work experience) that are only able to be edited directly from your profile. Check out Employer Account: Update my Profile for more information!
Select options to change which notifications you'd like to receive and how. Read more about the Default Notification Preferences (Employers).
Status Messaging Preferences
This is where you can set your preferences if you'd like to send applicants automated messages. Refer to Applicant Status Messaging Preferences for more information.
Once you've updated the preferences, make sure you click Save Default Messages to save changes.
Create Notes from Email
Import important student email exchanges into the notes page on Handshake to help you remember your interactions with students and to share information with other individuals. You’re also able to edit Contact notes.
*Bulk Messaging Preferences
For Premium partner users who have been granted a Premium Seat, you can set safeguards to automatically remove students from your message recipient list if (check/uncheck the following three options):
- They have applied to a job at [Sprinkle Dreams] in the past 12 months.
- I have sent them a message in the past 12 months.
- Anyone at [Sprinkle Dreams] has sent them a message in the past 12 months.
When previewing/sending a bulk message, you may encounter a message that reads “We’ve filtered out all candidates according to your message filter preferences.” This is an indicator that candidates are being filtered out according to the preferences you've selected.
Please note: Premium features are for Handshake Premium accounts only. For more information, please check out this resource.
To learn more about how to edit your company settings instead, refer to How to Edit Your Company Settings.