On Handshake, you can invite your colleague to join your company profile using their email address.
Note: this feature will not work if your colleague has already started the account creation process.
The steps listed below can be used to find out if your colleague already has an account created.
- Open an incognito window (to circumvent your account being logged in) and navigate to https://app.joinhandshake.com/login
- Enter your colleague's email address in the email field under Employers & Career Centres and click Next.
- If there is no account linked to that email, a message will appear saying "Hmmm... Looks like here is no account on file for EMAIL", which means you can add the teammate to your company profile.
- If there is a prompt to login, this means that your colleague has already created a Handshake account, and you can't manually add them to your company profile.
- We recommend they log into their account and verify the company profile they're connected to. Please note that users can only be connected to one company profile per email address.
- If they find that they are connected to the wrong company, they can disconnect their account and request to connect with your company instead. For additional details, refer to Leaving a Company in Handshake.
Manually Adding Teammates:
1. Click on your name in the upper-right corner of the screen, then click Teammates from the dropdown menu.
2. Click the Add Teammate Manually button in the upper-right corner of the page.
3. Fill out the required* fields on the page. Other fields are available, but not required, and your colleague may edit any of this information.
- Email address*
- First name*
- Last name
- Visible on Company Profile — checking this box will cause this person to appear as a point of contact on your company's profile page and make their profile viewable to students.
- Role* — for assistance choosing the best role, refer to A Guide to Employer Role Types in Handshake.
- Mobile Phone Number
- Message — this is the message that will be included in your colleague's invitation email.
4. Click Create User in the lower-right corner of the page to setup the account and send an invite email. The user you've just added will appear in the Teammates list, and their status will be Not confirmed until they confirm their account.
5. Your colleague will receive an email with the following details:
Subject: "You have been invited to Handshake"
From: Handshake <email@example.com>
Content: "You have been added as a staff member", including details such as company name, the employee that added them, and the email username.
They'll need to click the link "Confirm My Account" to activate the account
On the page that loads, they'll set and confirm their password, then click Confirm Account. Once confirmed, your teammate will be able to log in to their account and begin using Handshake features.