When setting up your Handshake account, you're prompted to include information about your identity and demographics. If you previously bypassed this step, or you'd like to make any updates to the information provided, follow the steps below!
If you'd like to update your profile information, and drive your profile to completion, check out How to Drive Profile Completion.
1. Click your account icon in the upper-right corner of Handshake, then click My Profile.
2. Locate the Personal Information section, directly below the "Your Interests" section on the left side of the page, then click the pencil icon.
3. All fields that can be updated will become available:
- Hometown Location (Type in the box to add your hometown)
- Pronouns (Type in the box to add one or multiple responses, or add your own)
- Let employers see my pronouns (check box)
- Let students see my pronouns (check box)
- Demographic Info (Type in the box to add one of the following options, or add your own e.g. man, non-binary)
- Race and ethnicity (Click the dropdown to choose one or multiple options, or type in the box to add your own)
- East Asian
- South Asian
- Southeast Asian
- Black or African American
- Central America
- South American
- Hispanic or Latine
- Native American / Indigenous / Alaskan Native / First Nations / Aboriginal
- Native Hawaiian / Pacific Islander
- Middle Eastern / Arab
- White or Caucasian
- Prefer not to say
4. Click the box under the field you would like to add or change. An outline will appear around the box that is being updated.
- if the field is blank, type your response in the box.
- if the field already has something in it, remove the current information by pressing the delete button on your keyboard or clicking the "x" next to your response, then add your updated answer.
5. Once the updates have been made, click the green Save button.