If you encounter an Employer that elicits concern, you have the ability to alert our Trust and Safety team by flagging the employer in Handshake.
Note: employers will not be notified that a flag has been submitted for investigation. In the event a job or specific user is suspended as a result of the investigation, a notification will be shared with the employer, alerting them to the suspension due to a Terms of Service violation, with details on the violation.
Flagging an employer
To flag an employer, click on "Flag this Employer for abuse" from the employer's company profile (in the lower-right corner) or from a job posting (scroll to the bottom of the page, below Reviews).
- On a company profile:
- On a job posting:
In the popup that appears, select all reasons that apply:
- Fraudulent or fake employer
- Ex: this employer or job is fake or misrepresenting itself
- Scam, phishing or malware
- Ex: this employer or job is a scam, asking for private personal information or posting suspicious links
- Promotional or advertising
- Ex: this employer or job is for something other than hiring
- Discriminatory practices
- Ex: this employer is discriminating against certain students
- Offensive, abusive or harmful conduct
- Ex: this employer offers a negative hiring experience, abusive work environment or has harassed students
- Exploitative, unethical or illegal practices
- Ex: this employer has been charged with a crime or is violating DOL or FLSA standards
- Adult content
- Ex: this employer or job post promotes nudity, sexual scenes and/or adult language
Below the reasons, complete the following fields as appropriate:
- Flagging a specific job? select below (optional) select a specific job posting from the dropdown (if relevant to the flag)
- Please describe the situation below add all relevant details pertaining to the flag to help our Trust and Safety investigate
- Are you OK with Handshake sharing your information with your career center so they can support in the investigation? Handshake will never share your information with a flagged employer. (required) (dropdown, select Yes or No)
Click Submit Flag in the lower-left corner to send the flag to our Trust and Safety team.
Flag investigation and moderation
Once a flag is submitted, our Trust and Safety team will begin investigation within an hour up to 1-2 business days max. This exact timeframe varies based on the severity of the allegations and if the flag is submitted during our business hours (5am-5pm PST).
Job removed notification
In the event a job is removed due to a Terms of Service violation, any students that applied to that job in Handshake will receive a notification of the removal with details including the job title, the company, and resources you can use to stay safe and protect your information.