Employer contacts are those with whom your institution has interacted, or whose contact information you have added to your Handshake platform either manually, or via an Importer upload. Interactions with employers automatically add the employer user as a contact - e.g. if an employer posts a job, they will automatically become a contact. This ensures that your institution always has direct access to the employers and users with whom you work on a day to day basis.
Following feedback from our institution partners, we have recently implemented a change to the privacy settings of employer user information when viewed by Careers Services users.
As of March 2023 - employer user information (such as a user's full name, email address or phone number) will be hidden from institutions unless that institution already has that user added as a contact.
Review the below bullet points to review these changes in more detail:
- The employer's profile page will no longer display any users under the Staff Members section unless they are already contacts, in which case they will also appear in the Contacts section:
In the above example, the user "Samuel Bilson" is the only contact of the institution
- If no employer users are contacts, the message "You are not able to view these employers' associated users because no users match any of your contacts records." will be displayed:
- Although the "Staff Management" page will remain accessible (by clicking on the See All button at the upper-right of the Staff Members section) - all employer users who are not contacts will now display with redacted names and email addresses:
- The Global Search bar will no longer display employer user email addresses, unless that employer user is also a contact of your institution:
- Clicking on an employer user profile link from the Global Search bar will present the error "This user's profile is private." if that user is not already a contact of your institution: