If you've recently created a First Destination Survey in Handshake, and would like to preview it before sending out to students, we recommend testing the functionality!
To efficiently test the FDS, you'll need:
- A student account in Handshake
- If you don't have one already, refer to Create a Student Account Associated with Your Career Services Account.
- A published FDS to test
- Make sure that no actual students have been invited before testing.
- If you need to create a FDS, refer to Create a New First Destination Survey.
For more information regarding First Destination Survey's, refer to FAQs: First Destination Survey.
Testing a First Destination Survey that I created
Once the FDS has been created and published, follow the steps below to test the functionality, prior to adding graduating students.
1. Locate the FDS that you would like to test, then click the grey button Add Students, located on the right side of the screen, or at the bottom-centre of the screen.
2. Within the pop-up:
- Select the Graduation Group from the dropdown
- Add your student email address (that's linked to your Handshake account) into the text field
Once entered, click the blue button Add Emails in the lower-right corner - your student account will be listed in the Recipients List.
3. Now it's time to test! You'll need to switch to your students account — click on your name in the upper-right corner of Handshake, then click Switch Users.
4. Click Switch to Students Account.
Tip: if you're viewing the FDS when you choose to switch users, the response page will load right away!
5. Click the blue button Begin in the lower-right corner to explore the FDS! Keep in mind that you can go back and change your answers (or submit multiple responses) to consider how different outcomes (and custom questions/skip logic) appear.
If you attached a custom survey to the FDS, you won't want to submit your responses to the survey questions, as those can't be edited or deleted.
6. After identifying anything you may want to adjust or change, switch back to your Career Services account. Make your changes to the survey, switch users, and test again!
7. When you're done testing, you'll need to delete your survey response(s) and remove yourself as a recipient from the survey.
- To remove your response, click on your name in the recipient list, then click the three hashmarks to the right of the response that should be removed, and select Delete Response.
- To remove yourself as a recipient, go back to the Students & Stats page, add a check mark next to your name, then click More, and select Remove Recipients.
Now, you're ready to launch! Add your graduating students to the appropriate graduation group(s), then let the Survey Invite email and reminder emails kick off.
Testing a First Destination Survey for another user
If you were asked to test the FDS functionality at your institution, follow the steps outlined below!
1. Navigate to this link to log into Handshake: https://app.joinhandshake.co.uk/login
2. Enter the credentials for the student account you're testing as.
3. Once you're logged in, click Career Centre, located in the upper-right corner of the screen.
4. Click First Destination Survey.
5. All First Destination Surveys you've been invited to take will be listed. Click the appropriate FDS to get started!