This guide will help your team test a newly published FDS, as well as provide steps to let other key stakeholders on campus demo the survey as well. Use the links below to jump to each section.
Test my FDS
Once you've created your FDS successfully, follow the steps below to test functionality, prior to adding graduating students.
1. After the survey has been created, add your student account to the FDS survey from the Students & Stats page.
2. Select a Graduation Group from the dropdown, and enter your email address (linked to your Handshake accounts) into the text field, then click Add Emails in the lower-right corner.
When you've been added successfully, you should be able to see your student account listed in the recipients:
2. Next, click on your name in the upper-right corner of Handshake and select Switch Users, then click on your student account to switch.
Tip: If you're viewing the FDS when you choose to switch users, you'll see the response page load right away!
3. Explore the FDS completely - keep in mind that you can go back and change your answers (or submit multiple responses) to see how different outcomes (and custom questions/skip logic) appear.
4. After identifying anything you may want to adjust or change, switch back to your Career Services account. Make your changes to the survey, switch users, and test again!
5. When you are done testing, you will need to delete your survey response(s) and remove yourself as a recipient from the survey.
- Click on your name in the recipient list, then click the three hashmarks to the far right, and click on Delete Response:
- After your response has been deleted, then you can remove yourself as a recipient. Go back to the Students & Stats page, put a check next to your name, then click on the bulk action More, and click Remove Recipient:
Now, you are ready to launch! Add your graduating students to the appropriate graduation group(s), then let the Survey Invite email and reminder emails kick off.
Demo FDS Functionality
Do you share FDS responsibilities with institutional research? Invite them to take the survey as a student to learn about the student experience firsthand!
This section will walk you through the steps (as a Career Services staff member) for creating a test student account that other stakeholders can use to demo the FDS functionality in Handshake.
1. Log into your Career Services user account and create a student account with this new "fake" email address on the Manage Students page. You can use this guide for more information on setting up a new student account.
2. Log out of your university email client AND log out of all instances of your current Career Services Handshake account
3. Log into the "fake" student university email account in order to confirm the account. You will need to click on the link that you received in your email.
- Tip: If you don’t find your confirmation email, please check your spam folder. To prevent future e-mails from being sent into your spam folder add email@example.com to your contacts.
4. Distribute the credentials for this new student account to any on-campus stakeholders who will be demoing this FDS tool. You can do this by sending them an email.
Just to note, general students WILL receive an invite that looks like the image below, but for the purposes of demo-ing this to on-campus stakeholders, we recommend that any on-campus stakeholders log into Handshake to take the survey.
Students will receive an FDS invite email that will have a message from your university and look like this:
How on-campus stakeholders can demo First Destination Survey from a student perspective
This section will walk on-campus stakeholders through the steps to using a test student account in order to explore the FDS functionality in Handshake. If you should be demo-ing the FDS tool, start here!
1. Navigate to this link to log into Handshake: https://app.joinhandshake.co.uk/login
2. Enter the specific test student account credentials that your Career Services office has shared with you.
3. Once you're logged into the test student account, select the Career Centre option in the top navigation menu:
4. Select First Destination Survey from the next page.
5. When you (as a student) are invited to a First Destination Survey in Handshake, use your demo account to explore the different features and questions!