An Experience in Handshake is a way to submit an internship for approval. Once you submit an Experience, you can manage it through Handshake and create learning objectives to track your progress.
Request an Experience
1. Click Career Centre in the upper-right corner of your home screen.
2. Click Experiences from the Career Centre page.
3. Click Request an Experience, located in the upper-left corner of the page, under your navigation bar.
4. Choose the relevant Experience Type and Term from the dropdown options. Each institution creates their own set of Experience Types and Terms, so reach out to your Career Centre if you aren't sure which one to select.
5. Enter the Employer details for your Experience:
- Employer Phone Number
- Employer Email Address
Note: Employer Phone Number and Employer Email Address are optional and should be for the company, not for your individual supervisor.
6. Enter the Job details for your Experience:
- Date (yyyy-mm-dd)
- Job Type
- Employment Type
- Offer Date
- Offer Accepted
- Add experience to profile?
- Check the box to add to your Handshake profile
7. Enter your Approvers information - your Internships Supervisor:
- Email Address (required)
- Name (required)
- Phone Number
8. Answer the custom questions set by your institution.
9. Click the green button Request Experience in the bottom right corner of the page to complete the Experience request process.
Once requested, you'll be directed to the Experiences Overview page. You'll also receive an email to your inbox confirming the request.
Is “Career Centre” missing at the top of your screen?
If you don't have access to the “Career Centre” tab at the top of your screen (to the left of your name), it means your institution doesn't currently partner with Handshake (yet!) If you're enjoying your experience on Handshake, feel free to encourage your career centre to formally partner with us and we can unlock additional benefits for you and your institution!