Need to upload documents for job applications? Follow the steps below and you’ll be good to go. Note that most positions in Handshake require you to include documents as part of the application. *Note: document uploads have a max of 20 MB
To upload a new document:
- Select Documents from the drop down menu under your name in the top menu bar
- Select Add New Document
- Once you drag or choose a document from your computer, you'll see a preview of the document. You can name it, select the document type, and then Click Add Document
Pro tip: pay special attention to the document type. If you upload a transcript but set the document type as resume, you won't see it in your list of transcript documents when applying to jobs. Make sure the document type accurately represents what the document is.
- Uploaded documents can be resumes, cover letters, transcripts, or work samples.
- Files should be in .PDF, .DOC, or .DOCX format. Note: The preferred format is .PDF. Handshake will automatically attempt to convert any .DOC or .DOCX format into .PDF. You will need to review and approve the converted .PDF version of your document prior to using it apply for a job.
- You can select the Feature on Profile option if you would like your document to be able to be found and viewed by employers on Handshake or your school’s Career Services Center. If you want to keep the document part of your private document library, or if you’re uploading it for use in a particular job application, you may not want to feature this document on your profile. You can change this at any time by going to your documents, and toggling them visible or not visible.
You’ll now be able to see your document in your Documents and you will have the ability to build your profile from this document! If your school approves all documents, you will see a banner letting you know that they need to approve this document, and giving you a method in which to reach Career Services if you have any questions.
You are still able to apply to jobs while your documents are being reviewed, the employer simply won't receive the application until your school approves the documents. To learn more, please see Pending Documents
To learn more about how to edit or delete a document read How do I edit or delete a document?
Have you encountered an error that says "Forbidden"?
This is usually because of the browser being used. We recommend using Chrome or Firefox to get the best experience, but if you happen to run into any errors in Chrome or Firefox, please submit a ticket by click on Contact Support at the top of the page!