There may be a time when a student can no longer attend an interview slot that they signed up for. During the designated signup period, students have the option to swap interview slots.
Note: a student cannot swap slots if they have not yet signed up for an interview time slot. If a student needs to reserve a slot, they can follow the steps outlined in On-Campus Interviews: Selecting & Changing A Time.
If the desired time is in which the student would like to swap is:
- Available: student will have the option to switch slots by clicking the grey Switch to Slot button to the right of the time.
- Unavailable: student can request to swap times with the other candidate by clicking the grey Request Swap button.
Note: there is not limit as to how many times a swap can be made in Handshake.
Once a swap is requested, the student whom requested the swap can choose to withdraw the request. To withdraw a request, they will click the grey button Withdraw Swap Request to the right of the time.
When a student submits a swap request, the following will be notified:
- Career services users with the "Interview Schedule" staff role
- For more information on roles in Handshake, refer to School Settings: Career Services Staff Roles and Permissions.
- Candidate currently in the slot
- Note: student information is kept anonymous between students. The candidate will not have access to the student whom is requesting the swap.
Depending on the user's preferences in Handshake, notifications are provided in Handshake and via email.
This is an example of the notification sent to career services users:
"[Student Name] has requested to swap interview slots with another student. If that student chooses another available time slot the swap will take place automatically and no further action will be needed.
You may also visit the [Interview Schedule link] to Approve or Decline the request on behalf of [Name of Candidate currently in the slot.]"
This is an example of the notification sent to the candidate currently in the slot:
"A student has requested to swap interview slots with you. If you would like to accept this request, please visit the [Interview Schedule link] and choose the new slot you want to move to. We will move you into the new slot and then move the other student into your old slot automatically.
The following time slots are currently available (at the time of this notification):
[List of available time slots]"
If the candidate receiving the request would like to:
- Swap: they will visit the interview schedule and click Switch to Slot to take a different slot.
- Decline: they will click the "decline their requests" link in the blue banner above the schedule.
Note: if the candidate chooses a new slot, and the swap is completed in Handshake, any other outstanding swap requests made by the student is canceled.