The Two Way Calendar Sync will:
- Pull scheduled Appointments from Handshake and place them into your designated personal calendar at your Institution.
- Pull all Appointments marked as "Busy" from your personal calendar to Handshake. This means that any appointments marked as "Busy" during your Appointment block, students will not be able to schedule an appointment with you at that time.
Two Way Calendar Sync will NOT:
- Schedule Appointment Availability from your personal calendar.
- Display your unavailable times on the Calendar within the upper right-hand side of the screen in Handshake.
If your school uses two-factor authentication for your institution's personal calendar provider, this may block the two-way sync through our service (Cronofy).
Cronofy isn't compatible with multi-factor authentication, and usually cannot respond to and verify the second authentication method. In some cases, your institution's IT department can allow Cronofy to bypass multi-factor authentication by adding it to an allow list — We recommend connecting with your IT department to confirm if this is a possibility.
- Appointments not pulling from Handshake to your personal calendar
- Appointments from your personal calendar aren't showing in Handshake
- Colleagues scheduling events and meetings during your designated appointment block
- Events within your appointment block are showing as unavailable to students in Handshake
Appointments not pulling from Handshake to your personal calendar
If your appointments aren't pulling from Handshake to your personal, please allow the system a full 24 hours to update your Appointments. If the appointments still haven't been transferred over, follow the steps below to review your Calendar Settings:
- Click your name in the top right corner
- ClickUser Settings
- Click Calendar Sync
1. Make sure you have selected the proper calendar to sync your Appointments with. Some users have multiple calendars with the same name. If you have multiple calendars, we recommend going to your personal calendar and placing an asterisk or other symbol into the name of one of the calendars. If you can differentiate between the two to ensure that you are synced correctly, move to the next step.
2. Re-Authorize your calendar sync.
3. Reach out to your IT team to ensure you have “Write” permissions for your calendar.
4. Have IT double check that you are signed into the proper server (Outlook/Office365/Exchange users only).
Here's and example of an approved scheduled appointment from Handshake on your personal calendar:
Appointments from your personal calendar aren't showing in Handshake
Only your "Busy" appointments from your personal calendar will pull over into Handshake.
On your personal calendar, click the appointment and go to the edit tab to make sure it is blocked off as busy:
Depending on your visibility and privacy settings, other staff members may or may not have access to your personal calendar. Check with your IT team if you have any questions regarding your Institutions calendar settings.
Colleagues scheduling events and meetings during your designated appointment block
If colleagues are scheduling events and meetings during your designated appointment block, you can create a place holder on your personal calendar to indicate that you are only available for student appointments during that time.
To ensure that students can still schedule an appointment with you during this time, you'll need to set the event as "Free" on your personal calendar. This will allow Handshake to override the event so that students can still schedule an appointment with you. This can also help prevent colleagues from scheduling an event or meeting with you during this time on your personal calendar.
Events within your appointment block are showing as unavailable to students in Handshake
If an event is added to your personal calendar during your appointment block, and the event is marked as Busy, Maybe, or Tentative, this time will no longer show as available for students in Handshake.
If you don't plan to attend an event that was added to your calendar, or if would still like students to request an appointment during this time, set the event to "FREE" within your personal calendar settings. This will allow Handshake to override the tentative event so that students can schedule an appointment with you.