If you're looking for some tips on how to determine whether to approve or decline an Employer on Handshake, you've come to the right place!
To begin, We do not recommend approving or declining employers based off of Trust Score alone. The Trust Score is to act as guide, but is not the only determining factor when determining to approve newly requested employers.
As a suggestion, we do not recommend declining every Employer with a trust score under 80. This trust score is allotted to many employers that have been in the system for a while and have had much activity on the platform. A Trust Score of 80 can be difficult for newer employers to achieve, especially when first starting out, but this does not completely reflect their legitimacy as a company.
For some helpful tips, our Fraudulent Team recommends taking a look at a few key things to help in determining how to vet your employers on Handshake:
- Keep an eye out for a working website
- Look for a company (non-generic) email domain of the user(s) connected to the company profile
- Check to see if the profile is full and filled out. A location, company description, company email address and phone numbers are all great things to look for.
- Check for a high number of declines and any flags on the company.
- Keep in mind that sometimes a high number of declines is actually the result of a snowball effect. A school may decline an employer for a reason that isn't the employer's fault (the employer simply isn't posting the type of opportunities that the school wants for their students, for example). After this one school declines an employer, other schools, seeing that the company has been declined by one school, decline them, and so forth until it's a large snowball effect of declines, when the company at the end of the day is still a legit, trustworthy company. High declines can mean two things: the company is not to be trusted, or that schools are declining without thoroughly researching the company.
We also recommend asking for tips in the Handshake Community! This is the perfect place to ask other schools on Handshake what their vetting process is like and gain knowledge and help in this area, and more! Check out the Community here: https://support.joinhandshake.com/hc/en-us/community/topics