Name tag printing is supported for in-person fairs and events in Handshake, with the following requirements for hardware, software, and settings.
Name tag printing via Handshake's check-in kiosk requires a desktop/laptop computer with the printer connected via USB, as Dymo requires specific software be installed on the computer.
The printer connected to the computer at the time of software installation will also need to be connected to that same computer the day of the event or fair.
Tip: if you will be using multiple computers for name tag printing, make sure to track/map which printers are set up per computer!
While the check-in kiosk is usable on tablets/iPads, name tag printing will not function.
Name Tag Printer
Handshake supports either a Dymo 450, Dymo 450 Turbo, or Dymo 550 printer. If you do not already have one of these supported printers, explore this link (a third-party site) to review those options.
Note: no other printers are supported by Handshake at this time.
Corresponding Dymo Label Software
Once you have acquired one of the supported printers, you will need to download and install the Dymo software that corresponds with your printer.
1. Refer to the Dymo Compatibility Chart for the correct software download.
2. Scroll down to the All Software Versions table, then select the most recent version of DYMO Label Software or Connect.
Note: If using LabelWriter 550, the most recent version of DYMO Connect is required (v1.4.3). LabelWriter 550 isn't compatible with DYMO Label Software.
3. When installing the software, keep the printer unplugged from the computer. The instructions will tell you exactly when to connect it!
- Only one DYMO LabelWriter printer should be added to local printers in the settings. Make sure to remove others that won’t be used.
- When installing 550 on a Mac, a terminal window will pop up and ask for your Password to be input — this is the password for your user login to your computer. This is necessary for the web service to be trusted. You may also need to enable the extension via security settings.
- If DYMO Connect isn't installing on a Mac, confirm that the web service is connected. Click the DYMO.WebApi icon in the top navigation bar, then click Diagnose. The DYMO Connect service will begin running.
- If you receive an error connecting, click Reset.
- If you receive a trust certificate error, make sure ‘Always Trust’ is selected for each of the Trust settings. To check, locate your Keychain Access, then double-click Localhost.
- To upgrade to DYMO Connect, you will need to fully uninstall DYMO Label Service and its corresponding web service before installing.
After installing the software, learn about Name Tag XML Formatting.