Test your Dymo name tag printer setup at least 2 weeks in advance of event or career fair–this allows ample time for troubleshooting and resolution of any issues, enabling a smooth name tag printing experience.
The following steps should be completed prior to testing:
1. You can only test name tag printing by checking into a career fair or an event as a student, so you'll want to make sure you have a test student account to use.
Learn more about how to Create a Student Account Associated with Your Career Services Account.
- Tip: ensure the test student account has all corresponding data for your XML on the profile, such as major or school year. If any of that is missing on the profile, or isn't configured under primary education, it will not print on the name tag.
2. Make sure you're familiar with how to launch and manage a check-in kiosk.
- If you're using card swipe to check-in, make sure the correctly formatted card_id is on the student profile.
- Check out How to Enable Card Swipe Check In for Students for more information.
3. If you haven't already done so, run through our Name Tag Printing Configuration Guide.
Best Practice: if your institution prefers to have multiple formats for name tag printing, you can create an event or fair to use just for name tag printing purposes. You can set it to a past date and "hidden" and "invite-only" to ensure it isn't discoverable by employers or students.
Steps to Test
Test in multiple browsers on your computer to make sure your setup works–we recommend either Chrome and Internet Explorer (if you’re on PC) OR Chrome and Safari (if you’re on a Mac).
When you're ready to test printing, follow the steps below:
- Launch the specific check-in by clicking on “Events" or “Fairs”, > Click the specific event > then “Open Check-in Kiosk”.
- Use either the test student email or swipe the student card to check-in.
- Confirm the name tag prints automatically and the formatting appears as you expected.
If you'd like to change the name tag label design, font size, etc., re-format the XML as needed to achieve the desired results, as described in Format name tag XML.
If you tested with a live event or fair, delete the check-in data to ensure accurate reporting. Learn more in Removing Fair and Event Attendees.