Handshake is now able to track virtual student attendee check-ins at EDU-hosted events! To check in, the student only needs to click on the meeting URL from the event's page in Handshake.
Note: if the student copies and pastes the link outside of Handshake instead, a check-in will not be counted for that student. The check-in feature is also only available when accessing Handshake via an internet browser.
Virtual Event Details
To track attendee check-ins, you'll need to ensure the event location is set to Virtual only, and you've included the virtual attendance link for the event.
For more information on creating an event in Handshake, refer to Events: Creating an Event.
Student Registration and Check-in
The virtual attendance link is only available to students that have registered for the event . To check in, the student just needs to click on the link provided.
Note: we do not limit the check-in window, so the first time the student clicks on the link, the check-in is recorded at that time. If you'd like to ensure the most accurate reporting for event attendance, we recommend:
- double-check the event attendee list and remove any check-ins prior to the event start (just in case a student has clicked on the link early)
- not include the virtual attendance link until you're ready for students to use the link
- Use this workflow with caution to ensure the link is added in time for the student to join the event!
Remove an early check-in
1. Click Attendees in the upper-right corner of the event overview page.
2. Locate the student that needs to be removed, then uncheck the Checked in box to remove them.
Note: if you click Remove Attendee, the student registration will be cancelled, and the student will not receive automated notifications of the upcoming event. They'd need to register for the event again in order to re-join.
Reporting on Event Attendee Check-ins
Student attendee check-in will be recorded for reporting purposes the same as a kiosk check-in. This date and time stamp will be included in the:
- Event overview page (on the left of the page)
- Attendee list (via the Attendees tab)
- Attendee CSV download
- Analytics saved and custom reporting