We've added a setting that will allow you to change an existing fair to a virtual fair!
Note: Physical fairs cannot transition to virtual if it is within 3 weeks of the fair date.
To make this change, navigate to your existing fair in Handshake, and click the Edit tab in the upper-right corner of the page.
1. Make sure that your fair has only one date and time, and the start/end time is within 6 hours
- For existing Virtual Handshake hosted fairs with multiple dates and times or exceeding 6 hours, the fair will not be able to be saved or updated while these details remain the same. You can reduce the duration of the virtual fair and split out dates and times into multiple fairs to resolve this.
- In order to save the fair, there will need to be only one date and time, limited to 6 hours maximum, or you can temporarily set facilitation type to external until you are ready to remove additional dates and times.
2. Change the Location type to Virtual
3. Change the facilitation type to Handshake
Make sure to click on Update career fair in the lower-right corner of the screen to save your changes!
When you save your changes and the fair is transitioned to Virtual and facilitated in Handshake, an automated email will be sent to the fair registrant on approved employer registrations, prompting them to set their schedule.
- If the fair registrant contacts you because they are missing the email, recommend that they pull up the fair in Handshake and click on the Schedules tab, then click Add Sessions to proceed.
Note: When the virtual location is selected, students will see "no location" on the fair. This is temporary and will change when we launch our virtual fair functionality!
Date and Time Details:
These parameters were put in place to reduce complexity and create a good experience for students and employers. Our research suggests that three hours is the optimal length for virtual fairs for both students and employers and that students typically attend fairs for two hours maximum.
Employers can schedule multiple group and 1:1 meetings per fair, which will allow them to meet with different groups of students over the course of the day. Supporting employer meetings across multiple fair dates and times is also something we hope to be able to support in a future iteration of virtual fairs. For the time being, you can also create separate virtual fairs to mimic separate dates and times.
Creating a new fair
If you create or edit a fair that has both a Virtual fair type and the Host field set to Handshake selected, the "Add a Date and Time" button will be disabled. You will also receive an error message if your virtual fair is longer than six hours.
Managing an existing fair
For existing Virtual Handshake hosted fairs with multiple dates and or exceeding 6 hours, the fair will not be able to be saved or updated while these details remain the same. You can reduce the duration of the virtual fair and split out sessions into multiple fairs to resolve this.
If you are hosting your virtual fair externally and promoting it to students via Handshake, make sure you set the Host field to External.
Fair setting options
In order to save the fair, there will need to be only one date and time, limited to 6 hours maximum, or you can temporarily set Host Type to External until you are ready to remove additional dates and times.
Here is an example of the 6 hour limit error:
If you attempt to update an existing fair with these conditions, this is the error that will appear.
Please see Virtual Fairs: Video Requirements & Troubleshooting for more information on video specifically.
For more information on the full virtual career fair offering, please see our blog posts linked below!