With the shift towards a virtual autumn, creating virtual career fair functionality and robust support has become a top priority. Many of our higher ed partners not only need to know details around how they can host a virtual career fair on Handshake, but what support will look like for preparation, day-of, and after these fairs as well.
Proactive Support for Hosting Virtual Fairs
We've launched a Virtual Fair Launch Kit with a variety of resources and Help Centre content showing how higher ed partners, employers, and students can prepare for and utilise Handshake virtual fairs.
We've hosted multiple related webinars for Career Services partners, employers, and students.
Watch the recordings here:
- Career Services:
Day-of Support for Hosting Virtual Fairs
Support for Higher Ed Partners:
As part of proactive fair planning, we ask that our higher ed partners create, configure, and manage their own virtual fairs, as well as provide day-of support to their employers and students (more advice on how to do that is in this blog post).
If your team is unable to answer questions or resolve issues, they can check our status page and escalate their questions to Handshake Support. When filling out the contact form, please make sure you select "Day of Virtual Fair/Event" category option.
We’re available to help with:
- Handshake product questions or issues
- Handshake-hosted virtual fair questions or issues
- Handshake best practices and product feedback
Behind the scenes, we’ll also be working to make sure your fair goes smoothly and safely:
- We’re putting together resources to help you prepare and test your fair to ensure it’s successful for all.
- We are developing a way to report virtual fair technical or trust and safety issues to us directly from the product for faster response.
- We’ll have a direct channel with our video provider, as well as processes in place to work with them as needed.
- We’ll be monitoring upcoming virtual fairs and work with your Relationship Manager to provide proactive consultation, and adjust our coverage to respond to anticipated volume accordingly.
Please note: there will be some issues that our team will be unable to help with because they fall outside of the scope of the Handshake product.
Please refer to your current support package in your institution's Handshake agreement or contact your Relationship Manager.
These are good topics to think through proactively before you hold your fair:
- If your institution (or an employer) uses a non-Handshake provider for video/livestream hosting, they should contact that provider for support.
- If your (or an employer or student’s) internet connection is slow or disconnected, please contact your internet service provider.
- If your (or an employer or student’s) computer, laptop, or smartphone is slow or not working, please contact your device support provider.
- If your (or an employer or student’s) camera and microphone isn’t working, contact your device support provider.
- If your (or an employer or student’s) web browser isn’t working, first make sure you’re only using Handshake supported browsers—virtual fair video screen-sharing will only be supported on Chrome and Firefox.
Note: Please visit the Help Centre for articles on virtual fair sessions, FAQs, our support offering and pricing for more details. We will continue to build these resources as we get closer to our launch.
Support for Employers and Students:
As always, core employers and students will continue to receive email support and have access to our Help Centre and other resources. In the coming weeks we will also be providing you with resources and best practices for providing day-of support to students and employers—and you can always contact us on their behalf.
Our Track Record of Success
We feel confident about our support model for your virtual fairs because of our track record of support to date.
- In the US, we’ve supported 10,000 career fair sessions across 706 institutions, 408,000 employer registrations for 76k unique employers, and 2 million unique student attendees.
- We’ve seen up to 400 career fairs occurring on a given week and up to 30 concurrent career fairs happening on a single day.
- Last 'back-to-school' season, our satisfaction rating was 92%.
Over the years we continue to learn, iterate, and innovate on how we can provide a world-class customer experience and we’re excited to support our partners in this next chapter!
What provider are you using for video and chat?
- We are partnering with Twilio to power Handshake video.
- Video and chat will be available on desktop web, iOS, and Android mobile apps for students. Mobile web could also be used, but for the best experience we strongly recommend desktop web (Chrome or Firefox) or native mobile apps.
Will you conduct any additional trainings for us and for employers and students?
- If you’d like to talk through the virtual fairs feature to gain more familiarity, please be in touch with your Relationship Manager.
Do you provide live phone or chat support?
- Please refer to your current support package in your Handshake agreement, as this same service extends to virtual fairs. If you’re unsure about your support plan, you can contact your Relationship Manager and they’ll be happy to talk through with you further.
- Additionally, all institutions and employers will have a Day-Of Virtual Fair/Event option on our support contact form that will flag submissions for immediate review. Video hosts and participants will also have the ability to report technical and trust and safety issues to us directly for immediate review.
Are you providing support to employers and/or students?
- Please refer to your current support package in your Handshake agreement, as this same service extends to virtual fairs. If you’re unsure you can contact your Relationship Manager and they’ll be happy to talk through with you further.
- Additionally, all schools and employers will have a Virtual Fair/Event option on our support contact form. Video hosts and participants will also have the ability to report technical and trust and safety issues to us directly.
- Lastly, we’re putting together a virtual fair kit, training course, and help articles to provide day-of support to your employers and students.
What will be in the virtual fair launch kit?
- We’re still developing the kit but our latest plans include:
- Materials to engage students: an email campaign template, blog posts for students on what a virtual fair is and how to prepare and be successful, social media templates, as well as help articles on fair day logistics and support resources, video interaction and troubleshooting, and how to set your schedule.
- Materials to enable employers: blog posts on Handshake’s virtual fall offering, playbooks for employers, an email template to invite employers, a training webinar recording for employers, as well as help articles and checklists for fair preparation, fair day, and other resources.
- Materials to launch your fair: a webinar training recording, an overview of virtual fairs, blog posts and help articles on how to prepare for your fair and day-of support best practices, as well as help articles on Handshake support scope and offering and a virtual fair day checklist.
What happens if your provider or Handshake goes down during our fair?
- In the unlikely event that our video/chat provider has an incident or outage our status page will be updated and we’ll work closely and quickly with our vendor to resolve the issue as fast as possible.
- In the unlikely event that Handshake has an incident or outage our status page will be updated and we’ll work to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.
- In either scenario we’ll also place an internal product announcement on their career fairs page to alert our uni partners
Do premium employers get phone support? Or more support than uni partners? Why?
- We do not share the specifics of any customer’s agreement. All higher ed and premium employer partners will receive day-of support through our contact form, technical/trust and safety reporting form, virtual kits, documentation, webinars, and blog posts.