The Details tab of School Settings includes all basic information about your institution, contact information, and calendar settings.
To review or edit your current institution details, click your name in the upper-right corner of Handshake, then click on School Settings. The Details tab will load by default.
If you've recently partnered with Handshake, required fields (indicated with an *) will be pre-filled on your behalf — we recommend making sure these fields are filled out correctly!
- *Name: full name of your institution
- School Short Name
- *Institution size: range of your undergraduate population
- *Location: address for your institution (if distributed, we use the address for your primary campus)
- *Time zone: time zone where your institution is located
- Nickname: shortened name your institution goes by (e.g. University of California Berkeley = Cal, University of Virginia = UVA)
- Year Established: the year your institution was founded
- Motto: your institution's motto
- Institution Affiliation: private, public or government
- Website: link to your institution's home page. This may have already been filled out by Handshake — if so, double-check that it is entered correctly.
- Phone: phone number to reach your institution. Suggested format: 000-000-0000
- Email: the best point of contact email address for your institution.
- Mission: your institution's mission statement, if applicable.
- Description: a short, descriptive paragraph about the institution — can include fun facts, statistics, appearance, etc.
History: a short, descriptive paragraph about the history of your institution.
- Description and History are important fields to fill out to distinguish your institution! Students will be proud of the brand you are creating and want to be a part of it, and it'll draw the attention of employers when they are looking for institutions to hire students from!
- Logo / branding image: icon that'll appear as your institution's main image. To make changes, click on the link "school page".
On the school page, click the pencil icon in the upper-right corner of the logo (to the left of the page) or the upper-right corner of the banner (toward the upper-middle of the page).
You can then upload new images as desired, and may adjust as needed. For recommendations on image sizing prior to upload, refer to Handshake Image Size Guide.
Auto approve students (checkbox): if selected, students will be automatically approved if they:
- Sign up with their institutions provided email
- The domain to their email matches the school's settings ex: [institutiondomain].edu
Select the correct school during sign-up
- Email Domain: the domain listed in this setting is pre-configured by Handshake — if this is incorrect, reach out to Support to update!
- User request custom message, link, link label, and info label: this customization appears when a student registers for a new account. For more information, check out How to Customize a Student's User Request.
- Maximum open appointments: the maximum number of concurrent appointment requests a student may have at once.
Appointment Cancellation Timeframe: specify the period of time in which a student can cancel their appointment prior to the appointment start time.
- Enter the number, then from the dropdown, select Minutes, Hours, or Days
- Employer Approval Request URL: employers logging in or creating accounts using the above URL will automatically request employer approval at your school. If you feel this URL is being abused, you may generate a new one by clicking here under the URL. Generating a new URL will invalidate the old URL.
- Enforce work study (checkbox): if selected, only students marked as work study eligible will be able to view work study jobs.
Calendar Export & Tracking
Calendar Export: add your Handshake Interview schedules, non-drafting career fairs, and approved, non-private events to your calendar by using the following URL. Your calendar will automatically be updated when Handshake is updated. You can also download a static (not automatically updated) iCalendar file if you'd like, by clicking the link.
- Keep in mind these will be school-wide events, not individual ones! That calendar export may be found under user settings.
Google Analytics Code: this code will be rendered on every page a student views so you can track their activity on Handshake. This doesn't necessarily have to be filled out.
- For additional guidance on adding a Google Analytics Tracking Code, refer to Connect to Google Analytics.
When all appropriate fields have been completed, click the green button Update School, in the lower-right corner, to save the information on the Details Page.