Welcome to Handshake! The steps below have been carefully organized to make sure your onboarding experience is as smooth as possible. Set yourself up for success with Handshake by following the checklist in the order listed below.
1. Create a user account
You will need a user account in order to login and use Handshake. If you've received an invite from a school or a colleague, you can use the link provided in the email to create your account. If you're signing up without an invite, go to https://app.joinhandshake.com/employer_registrations/new to create an employer account. Refer to Create an Employer User Account, Join a Company, and Connect with Schools.
2. Join your existing company on Handshake, or create a new one
In order to take any action with schools, you must first be connected to your company profile on Handshake. After you've confirmed your account, you will be prompted to select your company and request connection. If your company is already in Handshake, your company will populate as an option to select from. If it isn't, you should see the option to create a new company profile. Learn How to Create a New Company Profile.
- Use your corporate email address if you have one. This will ensure that your company profile is shown to you if it is in Handshake, and can expedite the process of connecting to your company.
- Request to join your company rather than a school you'd like to recruit from. Example: if you want to recruit from Stanford, do not select Stanford as your company. Instead select Stanford as a school request in Step 4 (Connect with Schools). On-campus employers are the exception to this rule.
3. Request to connect with schools
You must request and receive approval from a school prior to posting jobs or events to their students. You can choose schools during the account creation process or any time afterwards. When choosing schools, we recommend starting with only 10-20 until your company is established on Handshake. To learn how to request and add more schools at a later time, check out School Network Management.
- Start by requesting only a few schools. Consider requesting connection with local schools, especially schools from which you or your existing employees have attended. This will allow you to build positive relationships with schools while building your presence on Handshake. You can request additional schools as you become approved at your initial schools. In addition, identify and request schools that have the most qualified candidates based on your job preferences. Learn more about School Network Management: School Recommendations.
- It can take up to five business days for a school to approve your request. If you do not receive a response within that time frame, contact the Career Services department at the school. You can find the contact information for a school's Career Services by selecting Schools in the left hand menu, and then clicking on the name of the school you wish to reach.
4. Customize your profile
A well-crafted user and company profile plays a vital role in shaping your brand and building rapport and trust with our students and school partners. Put your best foot forward with a complete user and company profile.
5. Set notification preferences
While there are default notification settings enabled, you may customize how and when you receive communication from Handshake. To learn more, refer to Default Notification Preferences (Employers).
6. Build your recruiting skills
Pathfinders arms you with the strategies, tools, and latest data required to surpass your goals in sourcing, recruiting, and ultimately hiring the right talent for your organization. Explore our free courses here.
Note: Handshake Pathfinders requires a separate account with SkillJar. Sign-up with your preferred email and password.
7. Take action
Once you've connected to one or more schools, you will be able to post jobs, request on-campus interview schedules, manage your applicants, and more. Refer to our additional resources below.