As a Career Services user, depending on your role, you may find yourself working with an employer who is having difficulty connecting in Handshake - and it doesn't look like the user is pending approval at your school. This is probably because they are pending approval at their company, NOT your school yet.
This process outlines steps you can take on your end, before escalating to Handshake Support.
An example of the screen an employer user receives before they are approved at their company. The message reads "Thank You for Signing up for Handshake! Your Current Status: Pending approval at <Company Name>"
Note: In order to locate an employer user on Handshake, you must first ensure that they are added as an institution contact. Follow the steps outlined in Add a Contact under the heading "Create new contact details manually" for details on how to do this. If the user is not a contact, then you will not be able to access their profile, and their details will be redacted on the Staff Management page. Refer to Employer User & Contact Privacy for more.
Connecting an employer user with their company profile
- Search for the contact using their name or email address
If you do not see their email address it means they have not yet confirmed or created their account. In this case you can refer them to the following article: Create an Employer User Account, Join a Company, and Connect with Institutions
- Click on their name from the list. If you do not see their name they have either not yet created their account, or signed up with a different email address to the one you have listed on their Handshake contact profile.
- The following should now be visible:
- Confirmed / Active: The user has confirmed their email address.
- Not confirmed yet: You can select the option to resend a confirmation email.
- Pending Staff Member Approval at <Company Name>: Help them connect with their company by clicking the link or following the instructions below.
- No request exists: This user has not requested approval at their company, they will need to finish the steps in connecting with a company or creating a company account. In the case of the latter, please refer to How to Create a New Company Profile for more information.
- Active staff member at Company Name: This user is all set!
- Email Status
- Click Employers from the left hand navigation bar
- Select the employer account that the staff member needs to be added to
- Click Edit from the tabs in the upper right of the screen
- Click Staff Management from the list on the left side of the screen:
- Here, as a Career Services user, you can manually add the user to the company page by typing their email address into the box at the upper-left side and clicking Add User. We recommend only doing this for employers you personally know, small companies, or when there are no other staff members on the account to check with for approval.
The staff member should now have employer access to Handshake!
Note: Only add users here who you can verify work at the employer. If you attempt to add a new user to a company profile that does not have a matching email domain, the following error will appear in the lower-right corner of the page:
Article is closed for comments.