As a Career Services staff member, you can use User Settings to customize your Handshake experiences to best suit your individual needs. Unlike School Settings (which changes the Handshake platform for everyone on your team), User Settings only impact you as an individual user.
This article will help you navigate through the process of setting or updating your personal user settings.
To access your User Settings
While viewing Handshake in Career Services view (not Employer or Student view):
- Click your name in the upper-right corner of Handshake to display the Account Settings Menu.
- Click User Settings to view your account profile page.
- Alternatively, you can reach your account profile page by clicking Profile on the left navigation bar, then clicking the Account tab in the upper-right corner of the page.
From here, choose from the menu of User Settings options on the left of the page. There are eight sections of User Settings, described in further detail below, with links to additional dedicated resources in each section.
- Account Information - Basic information like your username, email and password
- Personal Information - Detailed information about your name, title, and bio to populate your Handshake profile
- Roles - Control over which features you have access to
- Appointment Blocks - Your personalized appointment availability time frames (and times you’re unavailable)
- Appointment Types - The types of appointments students can schedule with you
- Notification Preferences - Your preferences of when and how you receive activity notifications through Handshake
- Create Notes from Email - Capture important dialog exchanges by importing emails into a notes page on Handshake
- Calendar Sync - Keep your appointments organized by syncing your university and Handshake calendar
Basic information like your username, email and password:
- Username: your Handshake unique username user
- Auth identifier: used only if you are using Single Sign On for your account
- Email Address: your school provided email address used for Handshake login and the option to change your email
- Learn about the Email Change Request Process.
- Password: password that you use to login to your Handshake account and the option to change your password.
- Note: if your institution uses SSO, your SSO password is still managed through your IT department. The password for Handshake is separate and unique to Handshake.
Detailed information about your name, title, and bio to populate your Handshake profile.
Learn how to manage this information in Career Services User Settings: Personal Information (Profile).
Control which features you (or other staff members) have access to review and manage.
Learn more in Career Services Staff Roles and Permissions.
Appointment Blocks and Types
Learn how to Configure Your Personal Appointment Availability.
This section enables you to set preferences for when and how you receive activity notifications through Handshake.
- All new Career Services user accounts have certain notification preferences enabled by default. Review the defaults in Career Services User Settings: Default Notification Preferences.
- Learn about setting your preferences in Career Services User Settings: Manage Your Notifications.
Create Notes from Email
Capture important dialog exchanges by importing emails into a notes page on Handshake. Learn how to use the Email to Note Functionality.
Keep your appointments organized by syncing your university and Handshake calendar. Review the steps to set up a Two-Way Calendar Sync.
Article is closed for comments.